Question Computer Running Extremely Slow

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
Yesterday my computer was running normally, then mid game my fps dropped to 20 with the game constantly stuttering from what was before a stable 144. At first I thought some background process was causing this, however looking at the usage in task manager CPU is only at 15% and memory at 25% yet the computer is still unbearably slow.

The CPU temps are very high as the cores are at 80-85 degrees celcius at idle. The clocks are also jumping from 1.5MHz to 3.2MHz but i believe this is normal for intel CPUs. Nothing else seems to be running hot which is what leads me to believe this is the CPU. The CPU fan is spinning however it is also liquid cooled and there have recently been "watery" sounds coming from the CPU cooler.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this could be and any potential fixes, it slowed down suddenly rather than gradually, I also hadn't made any hardware changes or installed any software recently.

CPU: i5 6600K - cooled by some sort of corsair fan/liquid cooler but I can't remember which.
GPU: Radeon R9 390
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3
PSU: Corsair CS750M

I think that with 80-85C at idle.....I think this is most likely your problem.

I think that if it happened all at once.....and you have recently been hearing watery sounds.....and your fans are spinning....there's a good chance that the coolant isn't flowing properly for whatever reason.

Perhaps there is some sort of air-lock.
Perhaps some sort of a clog.
Perhaps something got caught in the pump.
Etc.......

barnesl123

Reputable
Dec 21, 2018
I think that with 80-85C at idle.....I think this is most likely your problem.

I think that if it happened all at once.....and you have recently been hearing watery sounds.....and your fans are spinning....there's a good chance that the coolant isn't flowing properly for whatever reason.

Perhaps there is some sort of air-lock.
Perhaps some sort of a clog.
Perhaps something got caught in the pump.
Etc.......
Is there a way to fix stuff like air-locks or would you just suggest getting a new cooler?

Is there a way to fix stuff like air-locks or would you just suggest getting a new cooler?
Well.....I suppose it depends on the cooler and how handy you are.
If there is a way to drain and refill the coolant.....I would look at that.
I would also make sure the pump was running and there was nothing blocking it.
I would also make sure there are no leaks....because if it was making a watery sound....I think that there is probably air in there and there isn't supposed to be.

If you don't overclock....you may not even need a water cooler and can just get away with a standard air cooler.

I don't OC and I don't use liquid cooling. Liquid makes me nervous around electronics.

datread2000

Commendable
Aug 20, 2017
well if your not comfortable working on your computer i would recommend something like the hyper212 evo as a replacement if you dont overclock