[SOLVED] Computer Running out of RAM randomly

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Hello! My computer specs are as follows:
i5 7600K
ASUS H170 PRO Gaming (I know its the wrong chipset)
8 GB DDR4 2400
GTX 1060 6GB
750W PSU

So my computer usually runs fine, and for a little throwback, I loaded up a Minecraft server, and had it allocated 4GB, which, is a bit high, I know, but regardless, I was able to run this, Minecraft and a Google Chrome window perfectly fine. However, as of yesterday, I started running out of RAM when trying to load it all up. Either the server would crash, or Chrome wouldn't respond, etc. I haven't changed anything or added anything, but for some reason, I keep running out. I have tried restarting, but to no avail. Thanks!

Solution
Hardly no space wouldn't be helping and Windows cant allocate any more virtual memory. Id say that's your problem. Windows can already tax up to 3gb for itself leaving you with 5~6gb free. Id have a good guess and say paging on the ssd can be 7gb or more and may keep growing if you had more space.

Check committed size in task manager > memory, what does xx/xx say?

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
Open task manager and see the memory usage percentage. If it is above 90% or is at 100% then applications may lock up or crash. Chrome is memory hungry and a Minecraft server may need more than 4GB if there are more than like 30 people on at once. The easiest fix is to get more ram. An 8GB stick at 2400MHz is only around $30.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Found it looking in the manual under system agent. Wouldn't be that, it's only 64mb minimum fixed size. But can check make sure multi gpu is disabled (disabled by default).

Your running out of ram wouldn't be because of igpu i don't think. When the system runs out of physical ram it'll start using the hdd/sdd's pagefile virtual memory. How much storage space do you have left where the pagefile sits? Pagefile would be on the drive windows is installed on unless you've moved it. You haven't modified the pagefile size?

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Found it looking in the manual under system agent. Wouldn't be that, it's only 64mb minimum fixed size. But can check make sure multi gpu is disabled (disabled by default).

Your running out of ram wouldn't be because of igpu i don't think. When the system runs out of physical ram it'll start using the hdd/sdd's pagefile virtual memory. How much storage space do you have left where the pagefile sits? Pagefile would be on the drive windows is installed on unless you've moved it. You haven't modified the pagefile size?
So on my OS drive, I have nearly no space, however I am going to be getting a bigger SSD soon. As for the pagefile itself, it says that it has around 2.9 GB, and no, I don't think I modified the size. Hope that helps!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hardly no space wouldn't be helping and Windows cant allocate any more virtual memory. Id say that's your problem. Windows can already tax up to 3gb for itself leaving you with 5~6gb free. Id have a good guess and say paging on the ssd can be 7gb or more and may keep growing if you had more space.

Solution

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

So does that mean if I freed up space I should increase the sige of the pagefile? Or would it do it automatically? The memory while idle with no programs running is almost half - 3.0/7.9