[SOLVED] Computer running slowly after playing some games

Sep 9, 2020
Certain games, such as Total War Warhammer 2 run just fine, but once I close the game the machine becomes "twitchy". From the browser tabs taking a second or two to open/close, etc. to Windows itself being slow to respond to open any options, task manager,etc.

Checking task manager itself, nothing stand out for CPU, Memory or Disk usage. Both the HDD(where most game data is stored) and the SSD(where I have the OS installed) are showing no sign of being busy at any point after the game is closed.

Rebooting sorts the issue each time suggesting some caching/memory/disk issue. I just can't seem to diagnose what exactly causes it.

System info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model MS-7B79
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 27/12/2018
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
BaseBoard Version 2.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.423"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.2 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Solution
I've run disk utilities on each drive with no errors found
Well, you could try to run a quick repair to windows image through the automated healthrestore. It might have nothing to do with your problem but give it a try. Win 10 is notorious for its bugs.
Open task manager, click on ''File" then click on Run a new task. Write on the bar cmd and make sure to check the box ''Create this task with administrative privileges'' press enter.
Now write next to system32> DISM/ online/ cleanup-image/ restorehealth/ and press enter. After the process is 100% complete , close any open windows and restart your computer.

Ralston18

Titan
What specific games cause the twitchiness? What games (besides Warhammer) do not?

Start by using Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First before doing any gaming.

Second while gaming.

Third after gaming.

Determine what resources are being used in all three situations, to what extent the resources are being used (%), and lastly what is using the resource.

Do the same via Task Manager. (Noted that you did mention applying task manager but the key is the before, during and after approach.)

Take a look in Task Manager's Startup tab for anything you do not recognize that is being launched - that could be revealing.

Sep 9, 2020
What specific games cause the twitchiness? What games (besides Warhammer) do not?
I've noted it after playing WH II, HOI 4, FIFA 20, Company of Heroes 2, Project Cars 2, WH: Vermintide 2. I'll test out others but these I play most often, so, it could be that it happens after any GPU intensive game.

Start by using Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First before doing any gaming.

Second while gaming.

Third after gaming.

Determine what resources are being used in all three situations, to what extent the resources are being used (%), and lastly what is using the resource.

I will do so and report back.

Do the same via Task Manager. (Noted that you did mention applying task manager but the key is the before, during and after approach.)

Take a look in Task Manager's Startup tab for anything you do not recognize that is being launched - that could be revealing.

Before and after in TM is exactly the same. The only thing that fluctuates from next to zero usage is Ethernet.

Lefteris13

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
The majority of games utilize cloud sync for specific files after you close them.
A heavy task, as the file needs to be upload and sync in the cloud, capable of causing your machine to lag for a couple of time.
My advice give your computer some time after you close the game and/or check basic trouble shooting for cloud sync on your preferred platform, I imagine Steam.
If you insist that there might be an issue with your machine run
suggesting some caching/memory/disk issue
run a diagnostics check for the hard drive through command promt.

Sep 9, 2020
The majority of games utilize cloud sync for specific files after you close them.
A heavy task, as the file needs to be upload and sync in the cloud, capable of causing your machine to lag for a couple of time.
My advice give your computer some time after you close the game and/or check basic trouble shooting for cloud sync on your preferred platform, I imagine Steam.
If you insist that there might be an issue with your machine run run a diagnostics check for the hard drive through command promt.

The slow down is persistent so, unfortunately I can't see syncing via the cloud as an issue, plus Eth traffic is minimal most times.

I've run disk utilities on each drive with no errors found. :(

Lefteris13

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
I've run disk utilities on each drive with no errors found
Well, you could try to run a quick repair to windows image through the automated healthrestore. It might have nothing to do with your problem but give it a try. Win 10 is notorious for its bugs.
Open task manager, click on ''File" then click on Run a new task. Write on the bar cmd and make sure to check the box ''Create this task with administrative privileges'' press enter.
Now write next to system32> DISM/ online/ cleanup-image/ restorehealth/ and press enter. After the process is 100% complete , close any open windows and restart your computer.

Solution
Sep 9, 2020

I'll do some backing up and try that after letting the system run for long enough to see if anything pops up in Resource Monitor. (y)