Computer runs out of memory?

ellman12

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Hey all,

I have a pretty old computer (around 7 years I think) and it has a strange issue. Whenever I get into the desktop, after a few minutes, the computer just locks up, freezes, and can't do anything. I was able to check the RAM usage before this happens, and most of the RAM in the system is being used (it has 4 GB of RAM) . This just started happening recently. What should I do? Should I try adding more RAM or what else could I try? Help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
You can try looking for malware and so on. The times I tried following that way, it took more time than a fresh install.
For a fresh install make sure the following:
- backup your files and documents (if you have a partition for your OS, only backup the files you need stored in the OS partition)
- download drivers and store it in a USB drive (or if you have a partition for your data, store there)
- when installing your OS, make sure the drive/partition you are formatting is the OS, and not your data one.

Installing an OS is not difficult, it just takes its time.

Best regards

ellman12

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

Is there something else I could do? That would not be an easy process.

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
You can try looking for malware and so on. The times I tried following that way, it took more time than a fresh install.
For a fresh install make sure the following:
- backup your files and documents (if you have a partition for your OS, only backup the files you need stored in the OS partition)
- download drivers and store it in a USB drive (or if you have a partition for your data, store there)
- when installing your OS, make sure the drive/partition you are formatting is the OS, and not your data one.

Installing an OS is not difficult, it just takes its time.

Best regards

Solution