Computer runs slow, I think not all the memory or cpu is used.

Sep 7, 2018
I know questions similar to this have been asked, but my problem has a twist. My computer runs slow, one day, I used to run some games at 70fps and overnight, something happened and it started running at 15fps, with intense drops. I can't even watch anything online, it stops a lot. So the twist is that I think my computer is not trying... It's fan used to make a louder sound when I ran games, but now, it's just as quiet as surfing on the internet.
Here are the things I did to try to solve it:
- Restart
- Clean Boot
- Disable, enable drivers.
- Virus scan with AdwCleaner.
- Reinstall Windows.

Actually, reinstalling windows made it better, but I'm still getting low fps and some drops.

Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
Video Card #2: NVIDIA GeForce 940M
RAM: 8.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 17134), 64-bit

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
There may have been an issue with a Windows update and/or a driver update (hence why reinstalling Windows gained some performance back).

Unfortunately, the issue you're going to run into is that you're running a 2C/4T CPU (laptop Core i7 essentially equivalent to a slower desktop Core i3 model). Depending on the game, you're going to see some performance hits.

Sep 7, 2018

But before yesterday, all the games I'm talking about (which are not really high ended games, like Crysis 2, League of Legends) used to run pretty smooth. Is there no solution to the problem I'm having right now?

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017

Reinstalling windows always makes the system run a little faster if its been a while, windows just gets bloated over time leftover junk from installs etc....
The fan noise though you see that's another issue entirely.
If your fan has died then your system is throttling most likely due to heat issues, when your system works harder the fan needs to run faster and hence louder to keep temps under control. If that doesn't happen then your system will get too hot and throttle itself so it doesn't melt down.
I would say check your power profile under windows but since you reinstalled already that should not be an issue. You could check anyway but I think that's a waste of time here.
Download HWMONITOR program and check your temps etc is my advice. If it IS over heating then we can investigate other things

Sep 7, 2018

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. It is not the fan that isn't working, because the computer never gets too hot. It seems as if the computer is not even trying to run the game. It stays in 50-54 C degrees all the time, and fan works pretty quietly.

Sep 7, 2018
Hello again.

Today I was determined to give my pc to a guy for him to fix it. For one last time, I decided to test it.

It works fine.

I don't know what happened, it just started working normally again for no reason. I do not know if the problem will occur another time, but for now, it doesn't. I will keep this post updated.