Computer says i have an perfect connection, but i cant use it...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanlll

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
so recently i had a storm knock out my internet and my Ethernet cables wouldn't work anymore even though my internet was on, because other computers in the house were using it just fine. so i went out and bought a NETGEAR N wireless USB adapter and it now is picking up our wireless single perfectly and says im connected to the internet

but NONE of my programs that use internet are working and if i try to run a diagnostic i get this error:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the
device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding"

the drivers for the adapter are up to date (freshly installed)

this problem seems so weird , help please! :(

ryanlll

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
firewall is off atm and the options in my browser are the exact same as the working one. but again its not just a browser issue , i cant use the internet on anything

Turn off Windows Firewall and all security/anti-virus apps. (Or alternately, hold down F8 to boot into Safe Mode with networking enabled.) Then try using the browser. If it works, then turn on the security stuff one at a time until you find the culprit.

Do you happen to have MAC filtering turned on in the router?

If not, get a Linux boot CD, and run the computer off that, it won't load anything on the system so you don't have to worry about partitioning or re-installing Windows for now.

See if Linux will connect OK. That should rule out any hardware issues with the computer, although if both wireless and wired do not work, it's not likely that.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I have seen new Wni 7 sp1 work pc's show the Network icon in the systray to show not connected with a red cross, but they are in fact on the network.

I would suggest disabling the onboard LAN. Also do an "ipconfig /flushdns"
followed by "ipconfig /registerdns" in a command prompt.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

That is why I suggested disabling the LAN adapter. It will cause a winsock reset without bombarding the dude with technical jibber-jabber...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS