Computer screen freezes then loses signal

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
For two months now my screen and sound freezes up and then loses signal. It occurs while playing games, but it also happened few times while I was watching YT. So as I'm playing the screen freezes up and after few seconds I'm loosing signal in my two monitors. Sometimes I can still hear the sound in the background and sometimes it also freezes up. The same goes with mouse and keyboard, they also become unresponsive. So the only was is to restart the PC.

I changed the PSU and GPU because I was planning to do it anyway and I thought one of them has an issue but it still occurs. I've checked the temperatures but they oscilate above 60 degrees (GPU) and 50 degrees (CPU). Strange thing is that as I'm restarting the PC the fan from CPU spins very quickly. But after checking the temperatures they still are not exceeding 50 degrees.

I ran chkdsk but didn't find any issues. I also ran an antivirus software I was also changing cables in my monitors, still nothing. The only thing that I didn't change is thermal paste on CPU and the fan is a stock Intel one. I also didn't reset my system for about three years.

Specs:
i7-4820K
MSI RTX 2080
16GB of RAM
PSU: EVGA 850 GQ
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LE

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Those temps are under load?
There's no "Intel stock cooler" for that cpu so which cooler do you use?

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
No It was already happening before I installed RTX 2080. I was thinking that my old GPU (GTX 970) was causing an issue, that's why I replaced GPU and PSU.

It's divided into two 8GB sticks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See only one stick at the right on the foto ,from what is recommended by Asus do you put one stick in the first blue slot on the right and one in the first blue slot on the left.

Also if rated speed above 1333mhz do enable XMP in the bios.

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Ok so I moved the sticks and also did 3 scans by using memtest86, zero errors. My computer still froze while playing Forza.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't often do this but mabe a log will give some info,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo32,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Which ram do you use? Maker+model+speed or partnr would be even better.

the next should show that,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "short text report",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
you already have the tool so no downloading necessary and need really only the ram.

You have this bios at least? "Version 4701 from 2014/06/23" (is one later but is beta bios) Can see this in the system summary before closing it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think your motherboard might have problems with the ram,

from the manual,

This motherboard does not support Dimms made up of 512M(b) chips or less (Memory chip capacity counts in Megabit,8 Megabit/Mb=1 Megabyte/MB).

From the spec sheet of Kingston (think you have this ram),

HyperX HX316C10FRK2/16 is a kit of two 1G x 64-bit (8GB)
DDR3-1600 CL10 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 2Rx8 memory
modules, based on sixteen 512M x 8-bit DDR3 FBGA compo-
nents per module.
Might well be that PnP (Plug'nPlay) also doesn't help in this case,this sets the ram to optimal values without needing XMP,but is still dependent on the bios.

Rudy93

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
So thanks for clarifying that it's a RAM issue. I had it from the beginning, and it came with a computer pre-built.

What RAM would be ok to swap it to? I would like to still have 16GB.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well i think it might be it,am not 100% sure. Other ram that i think might be good,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/hxzv6h,dvPfrH,7dBv6h,HtjG3C/
used 4 stick sets since having a quadchannel board. The "Z" and "Ares" seem to be tested with X79 chipset boards,but think all should be fine.