Question Computer screen goes dark, computer unresponsive after being idle. Sleep and Monitor off disabled. Computer still running.

jamescole3000

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
So recently my wife will go to her computer and try to turn screen on like she usually does, and screen wont come on. I have to hard reboot the computer. I then turned off the setting for the computer screen to turn off after x minutes to see if it is freezing. Well the computer still has both monitors going dark. The case fans are running and the LED's are on. When trying to connect to the computer using Teamviewer, it shows the computer is offline. I have to hard reboot and it works fine. It never seems to freeze or have issues whenever she uses it. Sometimes idle time is longer or shorter before it goes dark.

CPU and GPU temps are all perfect.
ChkDsk was ran on all drives.
Did a Windows 10 Repair install with latest version 2004 19041.450
Latest BIOS and Nvidia Drivers installed.
No new software has been installed (pretty much same software as my desktop) and her computer has been working fine for long time.
Tried Unplugging and plugging in both monitors in the video card. (I dont think its video card issue because the computer shows offline).

Specs:
  1. AsRock Z390 Taichi with latest 4.30 BIOS. All stock settings with XMP profile for memory.
  2. ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING (latest Nvidia Drivers)
  3. EVGA SuperNova G3 750w PSU
  4. Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
  5. G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) Desktop Memory F4-3200C16D-32GTZR
  6. Intel Core i7-8700k
  7. Noctua NH-D15S
  8. Cooler Master H500

I don’t see anything showing in Event Viewer (maybe I need to look for something specific?).

Any idea what this weird issue could be? I’m thinking next steps are going to be replace PSU?
Thanks for the help on this!

jamescole3000

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
So to follow up on this, I swapped out the EVGA SuperNova G3 Gold 750 for a Seasonic FOCUS PX-750 80+ Platinum. So far it's been a week, and have not experienced the issue again (knock on wood). I will post back if the problem comes back. Thanks.

jamescole3000

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
Ok, spoke too soon. So the issue started happening again. It went a while without. I ran a bootable Memtest and it passed without issue. Did a 3 hour torture test of the CPU and GPU with zero issues and temps were perfect.
Any other ideas?

jamescole3000

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
So before I start replacing hardware, I've reset the BIOS, reapplied all the same settings I had before, and applied AsRock's default 4.5Ghz OC.
I also completely wiped the drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10.

I've heard of AMD having issues of crashing at long idle times because of C-states dropping voltage too low.
I'm wondering if additional voltage from OC may help, or if software conflict caused the issue. Either way, both of the above hopefully takes care of either scenario. So far so good. Once again, I'll report back if I come across the issue again.