Computer seems to roll dice on startup whether it's going to be laggy or not.

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Just recently upon getting a new graphics card, my computer seems to randomly be choppy when I start it up. Games I normally get 60-100+ FPS in are getting 15-40. But sometimes when I turn it on everything seems fine. When it lags even youtube videos are choppy.

I thought it was the graphics card, so I returned it and got a different one. (I got the MSI 3g 1060) And switched it for the gigabyte 1060 6G. The first time I turned it on it was great. Everything was perfect. When I start it up the next time it happened again.

I also thought it was my elagato HD60 pro PCI card, seeing as whenever the computer is not lagging it doesn't seem to work. But taking it out of my pc doesn't really do anything.

I really don't want to spend 5-30 mins restarting my computer waiting to get lucky. I honestly don't know what it could be.

If it helps here are my components.

Edit: There also seems to be some sort of issue with my harddrives, I have three, an SSD boot drive, an internal 1 TB HD I keep most of my games on, and an external 3 TB HD I use for recording. Steam recently has been greying out games, and when I go check they're still there, but it really want's to install them from scratch. Telling steam the game is there does nothing, sometimes they reappear though. The games that do disappear are from all hard drives though. What gives? >_>

CPU: 4690K
GPU: 1060 6GB
Motherboard: Z97-HD3

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since there is revision 1 & 2.1 of the motherboard I won't guess which you have. I would suggest you go to site for baord and check you have latest chipset drivers. It might help to update BIOS as well, as the GPU may be newer than the drivers on PC and be causing the lag.

check you have latest sata drivers as well, might help with disappearing files.

what brand is the internal 1tb drive? might want to run the free version of hdtune on it and check it out

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

I have checked all the drivers, and they have been all up to date.

I think I might have found a cause for the lag. This card is really big, and if you take a look at this picture of my motherboard
20141217140811_src.png

you will see that for one x16 slot, if you put anything bigger than a super slim card with no room for a fan, it will crush the battery. On the other hand, the other x16 slot theres the same issue, but with covering SATA ports. This one is fatter than my 970, so it actually pushes on the two SATA cables I can kind of fit in there.

I'm not sure if that is the sole reason, but whenever I start my computer on its back, no downward pressure from the graphics card, it seems to be fine. I guess i just need a motherboard that's any sort of decent.

Any reason why it might cause lag?

And as a request I would love you for, do you have any suggestions for a motherboard that can handle giant graphics cards with a 1150 socket? the 4690k is still a beast, so I don't think it's worth upgrading for yet.