Computer Shut Down and GPU fans speed to 100% when playing Fortnite

Jun 13, 2018
I just installed a new 1070 Ti and a new EVGA 500W B1 into my pre-built HP 750-170se.

When browsing and watching Youtube videos the computer is fine. However, when opening Fortnite the computer starts loading the game and before reaching the home menu the computer shuts down and I can hear the GPU fans at (presumably) 100%

I will test it on other games as well but I am pretty sure the same thing will happen. Will update on the forum

This is my first time upgrading my PC so any help would be appreciated.

Jun 13, 2018
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Scanner-Graphics-08G-P4-5671-KR/dp/B076S4RH6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529172759&sr=1-1&keywords=EVGA+GeForce+GTX+1070+Ti+SC+GAMING+ACX+3.0+Black+Edition%2C+8GB+GDDR5%2C+EVGA+OCX+Scanner+OC%2C+White+LED%2C+DX12OSD+Support+%28PXOC%29+Graphics+Card+08G-P4-5671-KR

So i only have 1 8-pin connector.

I decided to stress test it with FurMark for 50000 frames and nothing happened (max temp at 70C)
I also played DragonAge Inquisition for a while and nothing happened.

Till now opening Fortnite causes the problem

Jun 13, 2018
I updated the BIOS but to no avail. Same problem: After opening Fortnite Computer shows a black screen and the GPU fans go 100%. The computer still seems to be working as I can hear sounds coming out of it

Jun 13, 2018
@Greeko85: Did A clean installation for the drivers and the problem persists; computer crashes right when the loading bar reaches the end

@smorizio: I do not really have the ability to test it with a friend because I don't have any that are techy enough to allow me to test it; I might give in and test it at a PC repair shop at the end. HOWEVER, I do not think that the GPU is not malfunctioning because, as I said before, I have ran multiple stress tests (including FurMark at 4K and the GPU never exceeded 70C) and played multiple other games (including 1.Warframe 2.DragonAge: Inquisition 3.Rainbow Six Siege all at the highest settings) and nothing happened.

The problem might be the PSU (I highly doubt it) but how would you explain all the other games and tests that are obviously way more graphically demanding than Fortnite running smoothly and for hours on end? I belive it might be something in Fortnite's software or settings or something so I will uninstall and reinstall Fortnite and try.

Jun 13, 2018
@nikoladespic2: I did and right before the screen goes black the temperature is often 45C

Well guys, I reinstalled Fortnite and played a game and no crashes or nothing, I will still test it for a while (I'll just keep playing more Fortnite matches) and if the problem continues I'll literally go crazy.

Dec 19, 2018

I have the same problem, could you solve it?