[SOLVED] Computer shut down when watching video

Nov 14, 2020
Title, as in I know my computer has issue as previously it'll already shut down when I'm playing games. So now it got worse and it'll show down when I watches video..

Anyone know what's the issue? I'm suspecting it's the PSU but I'm not very sure..

It's a 6 years old rig.. any idea how I could troubleshoot? Please help, urgent :(

Solution
Just as a general observation the PSU may be starting to falter.

Especially if it is the original rig PSU.

MSI Super Charger - used to charge iPhone, iPads, etc..

Reference:

http://www.filefacts.com/msi-super-charger-info

If not needed or rarely used then I would disable from startup.

May be having some impact on the PSU but I would not expect so unless some device was being charged.

No harm in disabling from startup and you can alway re-enable it if necessary.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Is the computer using its' original PSU?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for error codes and warnings that correspond with the crashes.

Many and varying errors are indicative of a failing PSU.

Could also be a loose connection.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Nov 14, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Is the computer using its' original PSU?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for error codes and warnings that correspond with the crashes.

Many and varying errors are indicative of a failing PSU.

Could also be a loose connection.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.
I typed the specs and more in-depth explanation here.

I've not sure what "bandaid" the issue as previously I close the MSI Killer app and it worked for awhile,
then it resurface so I turned off the "automatic restart" function, the one where it'll automatic shut down your pc if it crashes.

Turning off this two seems to work so far, (been hours since it happened)

It's using the original PSU, the errors and warning aren't really saying much.

However I also didn't re-apply thermal paste for a long while , could that be a reason too?

I'm extremely puzzled..

My rig is 6 years old++

do you think it's wise to upgrade part by part ? I'm afraid like it'll be hard eg. I upgrade the a certain part then I gotta make sure the newer parts I upgrade in the future has to be compatible etc

Was googling and someone mentioned to check for temperature: View: https://imgur.com/a/hIDr1t2

Sorry for the formatting, just typing whatever I could think of to provide as much info as I can

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager - is that MSI Killer Network Manager being launched at startup?

What, if anything, is being captured via Reliability History/Monitor?

Just post the errors - especially any that are repetitive. You can right-click any given error for more information. That information may or may not be helpful.

And is that noise still present? That could be a drive failure. Is your data backed up?

Nov 14, 2020
Look in Task Manager - is that MSI Killer Network Manager being launched at startup?

What, if anything, is being captured via Reliability History/Monitor?

Just post the errors - especially any that are repetitive. You can right-click any given error for more information. That information may or may not be helpful.

And is that noise still present? That could be a drive failure. Is your data backed up?
Yeah it's being launched at start up so I'll manually close it. Perhaps I should disable it on start up?

- - - - -

Some errors are failed windows update (win 7)
A handful of "Windows was not shut down properly" <--- was trying to update everything to see if it'll fix
The previous system shutdown at 9:11:37 PM on ‎11/‎23/‎2020 was unexpected.

That's about it with some LG driver update here and there,
also:

Windows stopped working
[The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0xc000021a (0xfffff8a000e17fe0, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffffffc0000001, 0x00000000000103c8). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\111520-22713-01.dmp. Report Id: 111520-22713-01.]
[The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000074 (0x0000000000000002, 0xfffff880053a69e0, 0x0000000000000002, 0xffffffffc000014c). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\112320-16770-01.dmp. Report Id: 112320-16770-01.]

Windows failed to start and we are unable to determine the cause of the problem
[Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.]

Also a handful of the Killer Network stopped working (when I forget to off it)

Imma go off the killer network from being boot on start up, the app didn't give any problem for the past 5-6 years but now all of a sudden.

It used to show up before com shutting down when I "overload" my com eg. GTA + browsers used to do that, then it's Dota + browsers, like it gets easier to overload.. until it's just a video from youtube.

If it helps I took out one side of the cover too and it isn't acting up (though it's probably because I switched off "automatic restart"

The thermal paste I ordered hasn't arrive yet so I can't check that.

Really appreciate you taking the time out to help me, thank you!

edit: at the startup there's only msi super charger, which isn't the killer net thingy I think?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

Reference:

May be having some impact on the PSU but I would not expect so unless some device was being charged.

Solution
Nov 14, 2020

Reference:

Yeah I'm guessing it's the PSU too since sometimes it may not boot up. And you are right it's the original rig PSU which is probably 6 years+

I'll disable the MSI Super Charger, always thought it's something useful. See if it'll stop the Killer Net thing too, else I'll have to manually close it every time I switch on the PC now.
View: https://imgur.com/a/wHACcW9
anything else you think I should turn off?

I've never used the MSI Super Charger before as I don't charge my apple products with the rig.

So I'm guessing it's the PSU but how to be sure? Is there any test I could do except the one where I need a paper clip. (Not confident to take out the PSU)

- - - -
Extra information, I cleaned the fan without plucking anything out and after that I hear this tick tick noise when I'm watching a video/playing a game coming from the "MSI r9 290 4gb Twin Frozr " I think some dust got caught inbetween. However I assume it's probably not the cause for the shut downs?

edit: hopefully after thermal paste + airblowing the fans/radiator the problem will be gone else 99% it's my PSU :(

Last edited: