[SOLVED] Computer shut down while gaming and wont start back up

Feb 10, 2019
Hi, My PC suddenly shut down while i was gaming. Computer had been running like a charm for years( since i upgraded it) . I am using two GPUs ( rx 580 8 gb for my main monitor and gaming and a gtx for my 2 and 3rd monitor for other stuff). I read online and did the following
1) pulled the power and held down the power button for 10 sec. but it wont boot up with the rx 580 plugged in to the power 8 pin connector which nothing happens.
2) pulled the power and held down the power button for 10 sec. and unplug the rx 580's 8 pin connector, which can boot up and running display on my gtx 1060
3) also plug in a gtx 750 on the same slot as the rx 580, the pc will turn on
4) unplug all the gpu and only plug in the rx 580. PC wont start.

From all you pros out there.. i want to know if its my gpu or my psu thats broken, or any other parts that you think its broken and is there any way i can test it before buying new part.

specs: i7 6700
32 gb ram
1tb ssd
2tb hdd
3tb hdd
gtx 1060 3gb
rx 580 8gb
Rosewill 750w 80 bronze
win 10 with all up to date updates.

Solution
Your computer is full of different fail safes. Firstly if the GPU dies mid-process, your computer can either detect this and force a shut down to protect itself, or the dead GPU will cause a communication / power issue somewhere, upon which will cause the PC to shutdown.

After that point, your computer will perform a power on self test everytime you boot, if it notices an abnormality, it won't boot. Equally you could have a GPU pulling / not pulling power from a PSU will equally stop the boot.

Many reasons, but the usual crooks of it is, your computer trying to protect itself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If i'm reading your testing correctly, you're saying it will basically boot fine, only as long as the RX is not in place. So it sooner sounds like GPU.

But you can always test the PSU easily using a PSU tester or a multimeter to check voltages from each rail.

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks! will get a psu tester to see if my psu is still good... do you know why/how a gpu can make a pc shutdown out of the blue and wont start back up? i cant find an explanation to this

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Your computer is full of different fail safes. Firstly if the GPU dies mid-process, your computer can either detect this and force a shut down to protect itself, or the dead GPU will cause a communication / power issue somewhere, upon which will cause the PC to shutdown.

After that point, your computer will perform a power on self test everytime you boot, if it notices an abnormality, it won't boot. Equally you could have a GPU pulling / not pulling power from a PSU will equally stop the boot.

Many reasons, but the usual crooks of it is, your computer trying to protect itself.

Last edited:
Solution