[SOLVED] Computer Shut Off And Now It Wont Post At All

GunSling3rr

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
My brother's computer recently shut off mid-game after he tried to plug a USB into it to charge his phone and now it won't post anything. When the issue first occurred a couple days ago the computer turned on and stayed on but wouldn't power down, the power and restart buttons did nothing, the fans spun up, his keyboard and case lights lit up but his mouse didn't, and the screen didn't post anything or recognize that anything was trying to connect to it. Now more recently all that's changed is that the PC's been turning on for a split second and shutting straight off. He had this same issue last year after he tried to plug a USB into it as well, we found out that replacing the CPU fixed this issue last time, but since the same issue just happened again I didn't want to make him go and buy another CPU just to have this possibly happen for a third time.
I think there might be some kind of short possibly caused by a faulty motherboard or something because the same issue has happened twice now randomly after he's tried to plug a USB in.
Any Ideas

Solution

He needs a good quality PSU, not just a PSU, there is a difference, 550W is fine.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2 or G3

And hope the crap PSU he has didn't take anything else with it.

GunSling3rr

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Self Built
CPU:AMD 8 core FX 8320E Black Edition
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Rev 2.0
PSU: EVGA 500W 80Plus
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6gb GDDR5

GunSling3rr

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Well this happened before and after we replaced the CPU with a new but same CPU the whole system worked is that not the case.

I doubt it.

VERY rare for a CPU to go bad.

GunSling3rr

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

So he needs a power supply above 500W? Any recommendations?

He needs a good quality PSU, not just a PSU, there is a difference, 550W is fine.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2 or G3

And hope the crap PSU he has didn't take anything else with it.

Solution

GunSling3rr

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Ok, thanks. We'll try that and I'll update the thread if it works.

And hope the crap PSU didn't damage anything else.