Computer shutdown and a burning smell came out

Aug 5, 2018
Hey guys!

So I was playing a game of DnD yesterday when my desktop suddenly shut off on me and a burning smell came out of the case. I immediately unplugged the power supply and checked where the burning smell was coming from. The smell seemed to have originated from the gpu so I let it cooldown for a while before trying to start it again. So when I attempted to start the computer again the motherboard lights light up however the psu clicks with the fan turning for a second before stopping but the computer does not turn on when I press the power button. The fan every so often clicks back and a green light flickers on the motherboard (not the same lights that just light up red when its powered). It might be my imagination but the burning smell from the gpu also seems to get more intense when I try to starting the computer up. I unfortunately do not have a spare psu and am currently in the process of asking a friend for an old gpu they have to test since I do not have an integrated gpu on the motherboard. Do you guys think the graphics card is a goner and the power supply unit as well or just the graphics card? Other random problems I have had with the desktop are it randomly freezing or randomly rebooting once in a blue moon (but I think it might just be windows 10?) Also, I use a watercooling loop between my cpu and gpu. Should I buy a new power supply unit and a new graphics card or just a new graphics card?

My PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-6800K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80671I76800K Desktop Processor
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card
MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKY
CORSAIR AXi Series AX860i Digital 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply with C-Link Monitoring and Control

Aug 5, 2018

I took my graphics card out and it did seem to be where the weird burning smell is coming from. I also did the self-test on my corsair axi series ax 860i and it seemed to be working right with a green light when I did it, so it seems to be working. Im just worried that when I buy a new graphics card, it might be the psu and then it'll fry the gpu again. Then again it could just be the gpu burning itself out right with nothing to do with the psu?