[SOLVED] Computer shuting down after few minutes

Jun 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

Since few weeks, my computer shut down without any apparent reason. Last two weeks, it cannot run more than 10 minutes after shuting down. It started to crashes with specific games (Civ 6 at the beggining) but few time after it shutdown even when idle.

I made some test, it seems not getting too hot, malware scan didn't find anything. I also tested to change devices (mouse, keyboard, monitors), but the shutdown remains.

I saw on the forum that it could be caused by a power supply problem. Moreover, since two days, branching an external drive make the computer shuting down instantly.

I precise that after a shutdown, i have to on/off the power supply to be able to restart.

Is there actually a power supply problem ? Is there some other things I can test/do ?

Thank you very much.

Solution
I did check the CPU temp and they are normal. What is MoBo ?

Now, the OS (windows 10) does not even start, it says that it need a reparation and restart every time before loading windows. Now i'm trying to run a liveCD linux to gather some important files and I'll test to reinstall the OS completely.

That is the information I have on my PSU : CoolerMaster MWE 650W Gold 80+

Edit: the computer does not shutdown when running on the USB live CD (ubuntu). So maybe the problem come from Windows's installation instead of hardware ?
MoBo is the motherboard. This would be displayed as "mainboard" when checking temperatures.

Constant system crashes can cause your OS drive to freak out and not load Windows properly. Here's a good guide...
Jun 26, 2020
You need to check that. A dead fan in a PSU is going to cause the PSU to overheat.
How can I check that ? Is there a software able to show ? I tried with Speedfan, but there is no "PSU fan" row:

Sys Fan: 0 RPM
CPU Fan: 1087 RPM
Aux Fan: 821 RPM
Aux1 Fan: 0 RPM
Aux2 Fan: 0 RPM

Anyway, changing the PSU would solve the problem if it's due to fans ?

Thank you for your help :)

How can I check that ? Is there a software able to show ? I tried with Speedfan, but there is no "PSU fan" row:

There's not software that is monitoring your PSU fan speed. You need to actually see it.

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020

Just open your case so you can see it, or remove it entirely and run it outside the case. If you find that the fan is running, try reducing your GPU core clock speed with MSI Afterburner by about 100-200MHz and see if it's still crashing.

Jun 26, 2020
Hi, sorry for the late answer.

I achieved to open the box and the fans are effectively working.

I tried to reduce the clock as you suggested @spacehusky but the shutdowns persist. Removing the graphic card don't remove the shutdown either.

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020
Hi, sorry for the late answer.

I achieved to open the box and the fans are effectively working.

I tried to reduce the clock as you suggested @spacehusky but the shutdowns persist. Removing the graphic card don't remove the shutdown either.
Have you checked idle temps of your CPU and MoBo? If it's shutting down without a GPU and temperatures aren't out of the ordinary, I'm pretty confident you need to get a new PSU. Speaking of which, what is the PSU you have atm? Brand, model, and wattage.

Jun 26, 2020

Now, the OS (windows 10) does not even start, it says that it need a reparation and restart every time before loading windows. Now i'm trying to run a liveCD linux to gather some important files and I'll test to reinstall the OS completely.

Edit: the computer does not shutdown when running on the USB live CD (ubuntu). So maybe the problem come from Windows's installation instead of hardware ?

Last edited:

spacehusky

Commendable
Jun 24, 2020

MoBo is the motherboard. This would be displayed as "mainboard" when checking temperatures.

Constant system crashes can cause your OS drive to freak out and not load Windows properly. Here's a good guide that'll help you with this:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/repair-windows-10

Aside from that, I am 95% sure it's your psu so if you can, I'd grab one from a friend and test your system with theirs. If not, it's worth going out and grabbing a new one. Lucky for you, that PSU is quite cheap (£80-90), but I'd personally recommend the Seasonic Focus PX 650w Platinum. It's about £30-40 more but they're one of the best brands, super reliable and have a long warranty period. Cheap PSUs aren't the safest option so it's worth shelling out the extra cash if you have it, imo.

Solution