Computer shuts down after 15 seconds

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
So today I measured something in my motherboard, and for some reason my pc got shut down when I touched the motherboard with my meter, since then my pc turns on for 15 seconds and then shuts down, there is no display on the screen, or even any power going out to the screen/mouse/keyboard, and I assume some other parts. It already happened to me before about 2 years ago(it happened for no reason back then), and I remember removing every piece in the computer until there was nothing left, but still nothing worked, I also tried replacing the PSU and it didn't work, which only leaves the motherboard as the cause. I don't know how, but just when I thought there's nothing else I can do and I need a new motherboard, somehow it just started working again, I assume its similar to what happened to me back then, so honestly I'm not that worried, and I assume it will work again eventually, but if someone has an idea for things I could try/the reason for that, that would be nice, I believe that something causes a short, but have no idea what, I tried removing parts again, but not the same as before as I believe it won't make any difference. I tried clearing the CMOS, cleaning the computer, checking all the cables to see if something is maybe connected badly/touches something, but couldn't find anything.
Anyway, kinda out of ideas, so I'd like to get some help, thanks :)

*I'm writing through my phone, so sorry about the messy writing.

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
you may have fried the motherboard. that seems like the most likely problem. touching your motherboard with anything conductive while the pc is still on is basically a death sentence. i fried a old motherboard by taking the ram out while it was still on by accident. so i would put it past it for that to be the problem. you tryed the psu which is the next power related component so try with a different motherboard but i think it is nearly certain that you fried the motherboard. would like to hear another suggestion but thats what i think

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Maybe, but I don't think its the case because there wasn't any noise or smell that usually happens when something burns, for example, I wanted to test my PSU, so I started with the cable testing it with a multimeter like a moron and by accident replaced to the wrong multimeter mode. I'll tell you, thats when you feel something burns...my multimeter exploded and the whole electricity to my room got shut down. That was pretty scary..I don't have another PSU in my room atm and everyone is sleeping so I can't test it atm, but I will later on. Even tho its possible to be both the motherboard and the PSU, I think its something else. Thanks for the reply :)

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
It didn't work back then either, but then it worked. There could really be like million of options for that to happen, I don't think something is fried, what other options can I check?

USAFRet

Titan

"...and for some reason my pc got shut down when I touched the motherboard with my meter..."

Sorry, but that does not sound good.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Indeed, and maybe you're right, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it also happened to me before, not talking about the same thing, just that I touched something by mistake and my pc got shut down and then worked just fine. I just don't feel like something fried, because usually when it happens there's noise and smell. Again, maybe it did, but I'm still looking for more possibilities. Thanks.

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
you dont need to smell it for it to be fried. like i said i pulled me ram out of my working motherboard and it never turned on again. i have touched my motherboard while its running before and it turned off but it did turn back on. but unless you can try with a different motherboard and components then basically your done for. even if you still think they arnt fried then they are completely *******. most likely and you would be better off just taking what other people think.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Its really not about taking what others say, I can obviously understand those obvious options by myself, I want to get advices I might try other than the obvious ones, low the chances might be, its still an option I should test before throwing a useable part.