Computer shuts down after 30 seconds in bios

cquest

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hi!

I just built my first computer. Here are the parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cquest/saved/9pGhqs

The problem is. When I power up the computer and hit f12 and get to the bios, the computer shuts down after like 30 seconds. Like someone just hit the power switch.

Im not sure whats causing this but I have a theory that something is wrong with the corsair cpu watercooler. Because during thoose like 30 seconds that I can toogle around in bios I noticed that the cpu temperature is almost 90 degrees celsius. Could it be that the computer shuts down as a safety measure because the cpu gets to hot?

Se attached images:

If anyone have any idea how to solve this, that would be awesome.
Many thanks!

Solution
if it says pump than you can have the pump plugged into it but there should have been thermal paste on the CPU when you pulled off the cooler which means it's not making proper contact and therefore isn't removing the heat. I'd recheck the mounting until you get it to make contact with the CPU. I'd also invest in some new thermal paste as pulling it off and on repeatedly to make sure it's contacting will introduce air to the thermal paste and it won't do it's job properly. I'd use what's pre-applied to make sure it mounts correctly and then remove it and reapply the new stuff for the final installation.

Rohit_Ajay123

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Happened to my PC too :p but not water cooler in mine

And yep, your right, its a safety measure that the PC is shutting down due to that extreme temperature!

Check to see if you installed your CPU cooler PROPERLY!!!

Oh and is your thermal paste applied properly?

Good luck :D

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
That's exactly what's happening. You're PC is shutting itself down to keep from frying your CPU. Make sure your pump is plugged in correctly and is running. If it's running you'll have to take the cooler off and make sure 1) you took the plastic protector off 2) There's thermal paste between the CPU and pump 3) apply new thermal paste.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
I see from your pictures that CPU FAN says N/A. Make sure your pump is plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard. If it already is make sure it's seated correctly. If that's done and it's still not reading in the BIOS you may have a bad pump.

cquest

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Thanks so much for your answers Insomniac Jack and Rohit_Ajay123.

Yes you are probably right, the Corsair water cooler probably isn’t working properly.

I am sure I plugged it in to the on the motherboard. Also, I forgot to mention that the fans to the pump are spinning. It’s hard to tell if it actually pumps water though. When I put my hand on it, it vibrates a little bit but it’s hard to tell if it’s the fans making everything vibrate a little bit.

So yes, as you say, it’s either faulty or it’s not properly attached.

I used the pre applied thermal paste that came with the pump. And that paste is so evenly distributed that its hard to tell if it actually got contact with the cpu. When I took the pump off, the cpu is super clean, no paste smudge at all, so I wonder if the pump ever made contact with the cpu.
Does that seem normal or should the cpu be a little thermal paste dirty?

I mean, I put the stand offs at the plate that came with the motherboard.(no back plate required because it’s an lga 2066 cpu socket) I made sure the screws where tight. But I don’t know for sure if it’s actually touching.

Though, as Insomniac Jack are saying, CPU FAN says N/A, thats also really weird, because it is plugged in.

cquest

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

I just realized that the pump is plugged in to #4) CPU Fan / Waterpump Fan Connector (CPU_OPT/W_PUMP) That is why it says N/A on CPU Fan speed 1.

Maybe I should plug it in to #7) CPU Fan Connector (CPU_FAN1)
?

Thanks!

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
if it says pump than you can have the pump plugged into it but there should have been thermal paste on the CPU when you pulled off the cooler which means it's not making proper contact and therefore isn't removing the heat. I'd recheck the mounting until you get it to make contact with the CPU. I'd also invest in some new thermal paste as pulling it off and on repeatedly to make sure it's contacting will introduce air to the thermal paste and it won't do it's job properly. I'd use what's pre-applied to make sure it mounts correctly and then remove it and reapply the new stuff for the final installation.

Solution

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
I'll explain the CPU vs. CPU/Pump optional connection a bit better. If say you had an H60 CPU cooler like I have you'd plug the pump into the CPU optional/AIO header and then plug the fan into the CPU FAN header. That way they're both controlled by the CPU's temperature and not the system temperature although your pump will generally always run at full speed and doesn't speed up or slow down. If you have the 2 fans for you radiator plugged into the motherboard in one of the SYS FAN headers they are controlled by system temp and not CPU temp and won't respond if your CPU is heating up.

cquest

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
When I came home from work I was ready to just move the cable from CPU_OPT/W_PUMP to CPU_FAN1 and start the system. But then I read your post about taking an extra look at the mounting.
And it actually turned out that I had been using the wrong stand offs when mounting the the pump to cpu. There where actually three different types of stand offs included with the Corsair pump. I had been using the longer ones which meant that the cooler didn’t make proper contact.

I also moved the cable to CPU_FAN1.
And in the bios I made sure to set the CPU_FAN1 fan speed to 100%

Now everything works like a charm!

Thank you so much Insomniac_Jack!