Computer shuts down after a few minutes

yan0134

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Computer turns on, can access all normal functions (internet etc) but after 1-2 minutes the computer shuts down.

Tried everything http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

At first, I found it was a heating issue, but bios shows that CPU and Motherboard temperature is 30- 40 Celcius, and fan is running at 2000 RPM without anything blocking it. Even dusted the fan for good measures.

Then I thought it was a power supply issue. Switched out the power supply from another functioning computer, same issues.

I then disconnected everything and tested the motherboard (with the CPU + cooler on it) and the power supply only. I turned on the motherboard by connecting the power on pin, and the same thing happened. The motherboard lit up, the CPU fan was spinning, and after 2 minutes the computer still powered off.

At this point I’m out of options. What other tests should I try? I can certainly replace the motherboard but I hope that it is a last resort.

Specifications: Windows 10, intel i5 6500, 2*4gB of Ram 2133DDR4, 128 gB of SSD, Nvidia Graphics Card 1060, asus h110m-e motherboard, corsair cx 450 psu

Solution

Ok most likely you have a short on the motherboard do you still have a warranty on it?

yan0134

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

By front panel connectors do you mean the panel with USB slots // HDMI // Lan// Audio connectors. By touching the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver do you mean connecting the power on pin, or something else?

Thanks in advance

landon_3

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Take just the little ones of that are for the power button and light, then touch a screwdriver to those ones and make sure that you label them in some form so you can put them back on the right way because it does matter and most motherboards are different

attachment.php

landon_3

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Ok most likely you have a short on the motherboard do you still have a warranty on it?

Solution

yan0134

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Just want to let you know that ASUS customer support quickly replaced the motherboard for me, and now its smooth as a charm. Thanks again for your help! It saved me a $100-200 USD trip to the repair shop!