Computer shuts down if power strip is moved at all, cords are moved or if the case is moved.

Tiawia

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Here's my build first of all: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tiawia/saved/Q4nHxr

Ever since I built this 4 months ago I've been having this problem. Though these past few months it only did this every few weeks. Whenever I move my power supply, to plug something in or unplug something it will usually shut off my desktop. Or if I even nudge or move the case at all it shuts off. How do I fix this? I just mess with the cords and the power strip until it turns on again and then it's fine. Today though, it didn't power on when I pressed the button. So I messed with the cords again and kept trying until it turned on again. Usually it's fine at this point and it stays on without problem. But now it wants to shut off a few minutes after it's booted up. It usually never did this, unless I touched something. This time it shut off while I was a few feet away from my desk.

I'm typing from it currently and it seems to be working as normal but I am tired of it doing this. I don't think it's my outlet or power strip because everything else has power when my desktop does not. I believe it's the PSU (which I bought brand new and it did this day one!) but I have no way to test it. Should I just take it somewhere to see if it's a faulty PSU? Do I have a warranty? PLEASE HELP! I checked all the connections inside and the motherboard is seated properly on the stand-offs. This is my very first PC build so I'm a beginner here. Thank you.

This is more a problem with cables rather then PSU itself. However since your PSU is not modular, that makes it PSU problem. The other option would be motherboard having bent or otherwise damaged pins in 24-pin socket or 4-pin ATX socket. Unplug the cables and check those slots. Your next step is to obtain another PSU and test your machine with it.

It's far more common than most people would expect. The parts that are used for that plug aren't paid much attention in the design phase, and it's not uncommon to switch suppliers for it between production runs.

Tiawia

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I do not believe it was dropped at all. And the plug is into a surge protector, not the wall. When it loses power everything else has power (my monitors, speakers). So it could be the cable itself.

Tiawia

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I will check the pins later. I didn't wanna buy another PSU until it was necessary. Thanks.

Tiawia

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

No, I don't have another one to use but I might get one and see if that's the problem.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Where the plug goes into the power supply on the computer itself. That's the possible culprit. If your monitor has the same power cable type as your computer, try swapping them and see if the issue follows the cable.