[SOLVED] Computer shuts off randomly/won't turn on without unplugging power supply

Jun 9, 2021
Hey everyone,

I'm at my wits end here. My computer is having issues and I feel like I've tried everything and I just can't be sure what the issue is.

First, my computer sometimes just won't turn on. I press the power button and nothing happens. To fix this I've found that unplugging the power supply and plugging it back in seems to work.
Second, sometimes my computer will shut off after some period of time - but usually after it reaches the login page for Windows. It has died before logging in and after logging in. Once this happens it will not turn back on until I unplug the power supply and plug it back in.
Right now, I'm typing this up on the computer. It seems to be functioning fine at the moment (hopefully I'm not damaging it somehow). If I put the computer to sleep it will die and won't be able to turn back on until I unplug the PSU.

This all seemed to point to my PSU being an issue. I switched my current PSU (Gigabyte P750GM 80 PLUS Gold certified) with an older 750W Corsair HX750 PSU that I knew worked. The same problem has persisted regardless of this change.

Next I tried changing the memory. I swapped it with some DDR4 RAM that I knew worked. Same issue.

I tried a new graphics card. Swapped an RTX 3080 out with an old GTX 980ti and still have the same issue.

I took the little battery out of the MOBO just cause. Same issue

I checked all connections to the MB and they all were fully inserted.

I have checked temps for my CPU(10700k) and it's running cool. I even lowered the clock speed to keep it from ever getting close to overheating and same issue.

Everything I read online seems to suggest that this has to be a PSU issue but it really doesn't seem like it for me. The only thing left seems to be the MOBO.

Does this issue make sense to be the MOBO? Am I missing something here? Could this be some short happening with a PSU connection or something? I'm completely stumped here.

I'm happy to clarify anything and answer any questions you all might have. I'm new here but I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and provide any help. Thank you!!

Solution
Hey, thank you for the response! Do you think it's more likely a CPU or MB problem? I sadly don't have another CPU with the right socket to test out. I suppose I could just buy a new MB or CPU and if it doesn't fix it return the it but that doesn't seem fair.

Motherboards are more likely to die than CPUs. If either of those two is the culprit, I'd wager on the board. Had many dead motherboards coming my way, and I can count dead CPUs on one hand.
Jun 9, 2021
If you changed the PSU, changed the RAM, changed the GPU, then all you are left with is the MB or CPU.

And yes I have had a similar case where it was a bad MB only intermittently power on.
Hey, thank you for the response! Do you think it's more likely a CPU or MB problem? I sadly don't have another CPU with the right socket to test out. I suppose I could just buy a new MB or CPU and if it doesn't fix it return the it but that doesn't seem fair.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Motherboards are more likely to die than CPUs. If either of those two is the culprit, I'd wager on the board. Had many dead motherboards coming my way, and I can count dead CPUs on one hand.

Solution