Computer Shutting Down

Llyell

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hello,

I just recently built my computer and I'm having this one problem...

As soon as I install the nvidia drivers for the graphics card I have ( gts 240 ) whenever I log into windows ( vista-32bit ) it starts up.. loads for about 4 seconds and then... poof!! - my screen goes blank and the computer shuts down a few moments later.

As soon as I uninstall the drivers, then my computer works fine again... I'm not really seeing what the issue is, so any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

dmorison

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Some possibilities for you to think about:

1) Could there be old graphics drivers on there which are conflicting with the new ones. In which case, install the old graphics card again (or boot into safe mode) and uninstall the old graphics drivers. Maybe using third party driver cleaner software to ensure they're properly removed.

2) Is the graphics card installed at the time you boot and while you are installing the drivers? Before installing the drivers for your new card, you should ensure any existing drivers are fully removed, and you are booting up your machine with the new graphics card installed.

3) One other thing to try is to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS prior to installing your new graphics card.

Hope this helps.

Llyell

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Yes. It's always been in. This in the only GPU I've had for this build. Prior to installing newer drivers, I tried installing the ones that came with the card and every time it would freeze.

Every time I uninstall the video driver, I can boot up fine.. Otherwise as soon as windows gets done loading, it will shut off/restart itself.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
What is your PSU and how many watts?
After you have tried the above posts it might be that the GPU is faulty. I had the EXACT same problem with a GTX295 and had to RMA the card, in the end I got a partial refund.

Llyell

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

Llyell

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I tried the drivers above, and the same thing happened. Although, I have different problems per NEW driver, vs. , OLD driver.
With newer drivers, the above problem happens ( computer will shut off/restart a few seconds after the desktop pops up ) and with OLD drivers, the computer will freeze at the Welcome screen ( it will load for a few seconds then just freeze.. at that point I just have to restart it myself. )

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Yep it only happend after I installed the drivers on my 295. As I said your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as I had. Good luck!