Computer shutting off after running 15 minutes

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hi Forum,

I'm moderatley experienced with computers but am experiencing a problem I can't seem to solve. I built a computer with what would probably be considered gaming components but I use it for trading. Specs are as follows:

Intel core i7 950
120MM liquid cooler fan
(3) 1X4GB 9-9-9-24 1.65V 1600mhz RAM (corsair)
(2) GTS 450 1GB video cards running in SLI mode
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
xion powerreal 1000 watt psu
120GB intel X25-M SATA MLC-SSD
WD 500GB SATA-2 WD500KS
PCI-E 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45
Windows 7 professional 64bit
Thermaltake TT armor mx mid tower case - VH8000BWS
(4) 23 inch dell monitors

When I launch BIOS I get the error: "the system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage. Latest setting in BIOS may not coincide with curret H/W states"

I've downloaded an installed all current drivers for the motherboard but have not attempted a Q-Flash of BIOS. Also, the memory passed the tests and it working properly. And no issues with screen resolution or running slow or choppy.

I noticed my cpu temp was extremely high in BIOS 116-C, not Farenhiet. Not sure if this is even possible but if so, it's obviously overheating for some reason.

I'm not really sure what to look for to in BIOS to make sure things are not out of whack or overclocked in terms of voltage, mhz, or timing related to what my system settings should be.

I've cleaned the inside of the computer with a can of compressed air to make sure dust wasn't an issue.

Also, there's a very faint grind/whirring noise that gets a bit stronger before the system shuts down. However, the fans are functioning the whole time and don't seem to be the problem.

Please help! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
get hw monitor and check your cpu temps, it could be that your thermal compound has gone off if your heatsink has come loose and you may need to reseat your heatsink and re apply the thermal paste.

if you redo the thermalpaste, clean off the old stuff and place a rice grain amount in the middle of the cpu and then place the heatsink down squarely onto the cpu, give it a few slight twists while still applying pressure to help spread the paste and immediately clamp it.
if you pull the heatsink off at any time you will need clean off and re apply the thermalpaste for best results.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
at 116°c your computer is obviously shutting off due to overheating, and it could be overheating due to overclocking or it could be due to a poorly seated heatsink.
if you didn't mess around in the BIOS then it's probably the heatsink not making good contact with the CPU - the only thing between the heatsink and CPU should be thermal paste, not air.

get hw monitor and check your cpu temps, it could be that your thermal compound has gone off if your heatsink has come loose and you may need to reseat your heatsink and re apply the thermal paste.

if you redo the thermalpaste, clean off the old stuff and place a rice grain amount in the middle of the cpu and then place the heatsink down squarely onto the cpu, give it a few slight twists while still applying pressure to help spread the paste and immediately clamp it.
if you pull the heatsink off at any time you will need clean off and re apply the thermalpaste for best results.

Solution

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Most (all?) BIOSs have a setting to "load default values". That would be the place to start to make sure you're not feeding your CPU crazy voltage. If I'm understanding your description correctly, you are water cooling the CPU. If running at default settings the CPU shouldn't get much over room temperature at idle.

The next thing to verify is that the cooling system is working properly. Is the pump circulating the coolant correctly? You can fairly easily check this by simply feeling the water lines going in and out of the water block. If you are getting proper circulation the "out" line should feel a bit warmer than the input line, but not uncomfortably warm.

When you installed the cooling block what kind of thermal paste was used? Thermal paste is one of those things where "more is better" doesn't hold. The layer of paste should be very thin and "just enough" to cover the CPU. If you went way overboard with the paste it will act more like an insulator instead of a heat conductor.

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I installed HW monitor and it seems to confirm the overheating. The CPU goes from 86-C to 115-C and then the power is cut to the system and it turns off.

My BIOS only had the option to load optimized or fail safe values so I went with optimized. I am using a liquid cooler for the CPU and checked it the way you said. The out line was a bit warmer but not hot. I didn't install the cooling block myself so I'm not sure about the thermal paste. Do you think it would be wise to remove the cooler/heatsink and re-apply thermal paste?

What is the best way to remove the old thermal paste?

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Update: re-applied thermal paste and the same thing happened. Started off at 67 degrees C then drifted up to 115C and shut off. This took about the same amount of time. 15 minutes.

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I used an applicator and spread a thin layer evenly. Also, the radiator is clean and the air isn't very hot or even warm as the CPU increases in temperature. I recorded the sound the computer is making up until shutdown but I'm not sure there is a way to upload the file. It's kind of a whirring click noise but hard to describe.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
ok, sounds like the liquid isn't circulating. either it's plugged up somewhere or the pump isn't pumping.
you say the radiator & fan isn't spitting out hot air, is the heatsink hot to the touch? does the tubing have a kink in it anywhere?
what cooler are you using?
can you swap in stock air cooler in just for comparison?

also, until you get this resolved, don't wait for the computer to automatically shut itself off when the CPU hits 115°, shut it off yourself before it even gets to 80° (it shouldn't even get that high anyways). such high temps are reducing its lifespan, don't let it do so unnecessarily.

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
It's an AVC 120MM liquid cooler. Typical geek told me to check the out line for a little bit more warmth than the in line for proper circulation and that was the case. Just wanted to make that known in case it ruled out a circulation problem. I also made sure the hoses were without kinks, and it did not resolve the issue. In HW monitor all four cores of the processor climb to 100 degrees C, and the overall cpu climbs to 115C and then shuts down.

re apply your thermal compound and do not spread it, leave a rice grain amount in the middle of the cpu only and place the heatsink squarely down on top and let the pressure spread the paste, give it a few small twists to help spread the paste and clamp it, do not lift the heatsink off at any time once its down or you will need to clean it and re apply the paste.

it could be that your cpu is rather convex so is not getting very good contact and spreading the paste is most likely not leaving enought in the center of the cpu.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
never heard of AVC. but their website says their liquid coolers are meant for socket 1156 with 1366 support being optional (that's what your CPU is, i believe). did it come with different adapters for different socket types? if so, did you use the correct one?

are you willing to put the stock air cooler in, simply to verify whether the liquid cooler is or is not the issue?

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
y, I have socket 1366. since I had the computer built it did not come with a stock cooler or different adapters. I'm going to try to re-apply the thermal paste using the rice grain method and see if that helps. Will update in a few minutes.

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I think I misread earlier and the radiator/fan should be blowing out hot air if it's working. which it is not. I'm going to buy a new liquid cooler and see if that resolves the issue. I'll keep everyone posted.

jrosellini

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Problem solved! Needed a new liquid cooling unit. Went out and purchased a corsair H60 for 50 bucks and it's running at 60 degrees Celsius and very quietly. Thanks for the help everyone!

if you had a non self contained unit but one you fill yourself it could be that gunk and mould has built up inside the heatsink. try taking the heatsink apart and having a look, it could still be perfectly functional, a friend of mine had this problem.