Question Computer Sluggish after CPU Upgrade

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
howdy - I've upgraded the CPU in my build from a AMD RYZEN 7 3700X (not performing well, poor bench numbers) to an AMD RYZEN 9 5950X and the result are suboptimal (performing even worse, poor bench numbers)The computer is very slow to respond at login, and every operation after that is just as painful as equally slow. I ran a Userbenchmark test and the results were worrisome. I am hear hoping for guidance. My hope/suspicion is that I have a motherboard problem but I am ill-equipped to diagnose that issue.

I took the following step prior to physically replacing the CPU:
  1. Updated Drivers for all current hardware and OS
  2. Verified that the AORUS ELITE 570X was compatible.
  3. Updated the AORUS BIOS to F37c, this was done via BIOS.
Here are the specs:
  • CPU _ AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
  • Motherboard_570X AORUS ELITE WIFI
  • GPU_GeForce GTX 1660 6BG
  • RAM_32 GB G Skills Ripjaws V Series DDR4
  • Power Supply_EVGA 850 GOLD
  • Storage_ 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD
  • OS_Windows 10 64 Bit Pro

Poor performance in what? A 1660 6GB card is gonna be sluggish for gaming regardless of CPU.

What case do you have?
What cooling do you use?
CPU cooler​
Case fans​
Arrangement of fans and cooler in case​
What is your memory configuration: clock speed, 2 dimm's or 4, which sockets used.
You might consider a fresh, clean install of Windows....completely clean, from scratch.

Last edited:

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Poor performance in what? A 1660 6GB card is gonna be sluggish for gaming regardless of CPU.

What case do you have?
What cooling do you use?
CPU cooler​
Case fans​
What is your memory configuration: clock speed, 2 dimm's or 4, which sockets used.
You might consider a fresh, clean install of Windows....completely clean, from scratch.
'
I am not using the computer for gaming - any basic function is impossibly slow. I am using all 4 slots for RAM,

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (with LGA 1700 Mounting Kit)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021

What case do you have?
What cooling do you use?
CPU cooler​
Case fans​

The clean install looks fairly straightforward, I'll definitely give that a try!

That doesn't sound right....LGA 1700 is an Intel socket. 5950X CPU uses an AM4 socket (PGA 1330 I think??) so the appropriate mounting kit is called for. If you can somehow jimmy an LGA mount kit on AM4 then it almost certainly isn't giving you proper Z-height. Insufficient/unequal pressure on the CPU heat spreader is a likely result. A worse-case result is excessive and unequal pressure on the CPU with cracked solder balls the result.

Not that a GTX 1660 is nearly the furnace that Nvidia puts out now but if not gaming then GPU heat output shouldn't be a contributor to CPU thermal problems. Unless you're dabbling in GPU compute or some such. Making sure there's plenty of outside airflow to the input of the DR4 so it doesn't choke on heated GPU exhaust will ensure nothing like that can happen at any rate.

Last edited:

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
That doesn't sound right....LGA 1700 is an Intel socket. 5950X CPU uses an AM4 socket (PGA 1330 I think??) so the appropriate mounting kit is called for. If you can somehow jimmy an LGA mount kit on AM4 then it almost certainly isn't giving you proper Z-height. Insufficient/unequal pressure on the CPU heat spreader is a likely result.

Not that a GTX 1660 is nearly the furnace that Nvidia puts out now but if not gaming then GPU heat output shouldn't be a contributor to CPU thermal problems. Unless you're dabbling in GPU compute or some such. Making sure there's plenty of outside airflow to the input of the DR4 so it doesn't choke on heated GPU exhaust will ensure nothing like that can happen at any rate.

Disregard the LGA mounting KIT - I was pulling the name from the manufacturers website and I hadn't realized that I copied that information as well.

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
That doesn't sound right....LGA 1700 is an Intel socket. 5950X CPU uses an AM4 socket (PGA 1330 I think??) so the appropriate mounting kit is called for. If you can somehow jimmy an LGA mount kit on AM4 then it almost certainly isn't giving you proper Z-height. Insufficient/unequal pressure on the CPU heat spreader is a likely result.

I have the appropriate mounting kit in place, that was just a copy/paste mistake. FWIW I have 7 of these same builds in the office and this is the only machine that is giving me grief.

I have the appropriate mounting kit in place, that was just a copy/paste mistake. FWIW I have 7 of these same builds in the office and this is the only machine that is giving me grief.
Probably need to run some benchmarks and compare performance to the the other machines. Running a good hardware monitoring program during some runs will help you find problems...especially when you can comparing to other identical builds.

have you looked at the Windows Event Viewer to see if it's throwing errors?

howdy - I've upgraded the CPU in my build from a AMD RYZEN 7 3700X (not performing well, poor bench numbers) to an AMD RYZEN 9 5950X and the result are suboptimal (performing even worse, poor bench numbers)The computer is very slow to respond at login, and every operation after that is just as painful as equally slow. I ran a Userbenchmark test and the results were worrisome. I am hear hoping for guidance. My hope/suspicion is that I have a motherboard problem but I am ill-equipped to diagnose that issue.

I took the following step prior to physically replacing the CPU:
  1. Updated Drivers for all current hardware and OS
  2. Verified that the AORUS ELITE 570X was compatible.
  3. Updated the AORUS BIOS to F37c, this was done via BIOS.
Here are the specs:
  • CPU _ AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
  • Motherboard_570X AORUS ELITE WIFI
  • GPU_GeForce GTX 1660 6BG
  • RAM_32 GB G Skills Ripjaws V Series DDR4
  • Power Supply_EVGA 850 GOLD
  • Storage_ 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD
  • OS_Windows 10 64 Bit Pro
And those worrisome userbenchmark results would be..........................

avoid userbenchmarks. it is hopelessly biased against AMD products and presents results in a bad light, if not flat out lieing about them. It's useless.

Here's a few citations, but run your own google. It goes on and on and on.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/g2x49q/userbenchmark_should_be_banned/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sygt_lIeOk

Task Manager says that I am using 100% of my CPU, but no programs are open.
What apps are open? Many mfr. utilities are terrible at utilizing CPU cores unnecessarily: those are things like MSI's Dragon Center, Corsair's Link, NZXT's (whatever), just about any RGB control program. There are more; they are things you might find in the system tray...the right side of the task bar. Even AMD's own Ryzenmaster is known to do it.

Also, don't confuse utilization with processor load. A processor can be utilized doing a very simple thing that doesn't load it down heavily. That's a software issue if it's constantly happening.

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
avoid userbenchmarks. it is hopelessly biased against AMD products and presents results in a bad light, if not flat out lieing about them. It's useless.

Here's a few citations, but run your own google. It goes on and on and on.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/g2x49q/userbenchmark_should_be_banned/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sygt_lIeOk

Thanks for this - very eye opening indeed. I see that there are alternatives offered but I don't see a link for a bench test on those sites.

run this command:
bcdedit /set {current} numproc 32
good catch!
does that do the same as un-ticking the check box in System Config /boot / advanced options?

@works_arc : definitely do what kerberos suggests forthwith!

And good benchmarks you can compare CPU performance and GPU performance are Cinebench R20 and 3DMark, the Timespy bench in the suite. They are somewhat synthetic but they're fairly repeatable so you can compare results to other CPU's and GPU's to see how yours compares. That's perfect to see if your system is performing correctly.