• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Computer smells burning plastic, which component is most likely to be failed ?

Apr 15, 2020
I can't decide which component causing this smell. I also assembled it without case but still couldn't detect the component.

The computer works perfectly even with overclock, the gpu-cpu temparatures are below 70°C
but there's a noticeable awful smell in my room which goes away after turning the PC off.

Which component is most likely to be failed PSU or Motherboard or maybe even GPU ?
Also there's no burn marks in PSU circuit.

But if the damage was on the motherboard or gpu, would the PC still work fine ?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
No signs of a blown capacitor in the PSU?
No signs, especially the electrolytic ones seems to be in good condition. No bulge, No sign of explosion.

So you ran the psu 2 years over warranty... it's 3 years from what I've managed to find.

Did you use any molex connectors for anything?
Yes that's true.

I assume you mean those peripheral 4 pin connectors
Yes I've used 2 of them for 2 chasis fans + temparature display on the case.

Other than that as usual:
-24 pin and 8 pin connector to motherboard
-2 PCI-E connector to the graphics card
- 3 HDD connectors (L shaped) for 2 HDDs + water cooler

that's all

But if the motherboard was the problem would the PC still turn on ?

Phaaze88

Illustrious
Ambassador
Molex connector/adapter reliability is iffy, and people sometimes use the things to power gpus...

But if the motherboard was the problem would the PC still turn on ?
I've only got one experience with a dead mobo - a DOA one. A Gigabyte Z390 Elite/Master - I forget which exactly.
Nothing worked; the LEDs flashed on for a second, and the back off... nothing. Same deal when I did the barebones setup to troubleshoot.
Replaced it, everything works now.
If the 'messenger' is dead, then none of the parts connected to it can get power.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS