Question Computer starting up weird

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Hey,

My computer only boots up successfully after interrupting the first 3 boots (shutting down pc on brand screen). It does tons of weird things when I try booting from usb (works 1/10 times), bios can't always be accessed, and tons of other things.
The computer is 2 years old, I maintain it and watch over it's performance a lot. What could be wrong? Below are my specs

Kind regards,
Solosis

unknown.png

Last edited:

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Update: I realized that my pc starts up without a problem when I use F8 to select the boot option to be windows boot, but I have to do this manually, it seems. It's #1 in the boot order inside my bios, but I still have to do this manually. Any tips?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can confirm my components are fine.
Well if you can't boot even into windows, there is all potential that your components aren't fine.

Are you able to plug in a recovery disk? You may have a bootkit that has messed with the MBR.

Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS as per your motherboard manual?

If it is hardware, breadboarding may help isolating the problem. Have you removed the storage device and see if it POSTs?

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Well if you can't boot even into windows, there is all potential that your components aren't fine.

Are you able to plug in a recovery disk? You may have a bootkit that has messed with the MBR.

Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS as per your motherboard manual?

If it is hardware, breadboarding may help isolating the problem. Have you removed the storage device and see if it POSTs?
I tried plugging in a recovery disk and used it, didn't work.
I also tried both updating and downgrading my bios, neither worked.
I tried breadboarding as well, didn't work either.

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
I managed to get it to boot up by being lucky after interrupting the boot for the 3rd time and using F8 to load up the boot manager manually.
Is there a way to make it do this automatically? It's already the first thing in my boot order set in the bios, Idk what else to look for

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?

I'd suspect your system has both UEFI boot and legacy boot enabled and wrong one is booting first.
Also possible, you may have multiple bootloaders (one per storage device) and this is causing confusion.
unknown.png

(Lending HDD from a friend, has nothing but files on it, no system files)

I tried looking for multiple bootloaders, so I asked around and someone suggested me to check via BCD, and there's only one