Computer starts for a split second, and then switches off

Erebus74

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hi there, My old power supply (450W) blew spectacularly the other day with lots of sparks. replaced with a new PSU (600w) but would only switch on for a millisecond and then cut out. I have bypassed with a wire the green wire with the black, and as long as this wire stays in place, the computer will run as normal (ie, will run all games, browse all internet with no problems) I am guessing that maybe my motherboard is a bit goosed or that the new PSU maybe faulty, but not sure and hence my question on here. HELP!!! lol

Dom_79

Distinguished
It's most likely your motherboard. Kind of weird it seems that the only piece that was damaged when your old PSU blew was the send/on part (that constantly tells your PSU to provide power because the computer is on).

That wire jump you've done is only meant to be a basic test to see if the PSU provides power (which evidently it does). I'd recommend taking that out soon as possible - you could burn out your PSU or worse if you forget to take that wire out. With it "in place" the PSU will always be powered up/on.