[SOLVED] Computer still experiencing lag after clean boot (no lag in safe mode)

jtw1984

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Hello,

System has been laggy except if ran in safe mode. I have checked out several threads from this forum and others found on Google. I'd appreciate any advice. I have provided a brief history below. Thank you.
Computer Specs:

i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz
16 GB Ram
x64 Windows 10 Pro OS
Nvidia GeForce GTX 745

History:

Was told around 3 months ago the system became very laggy. System seemed to hang for 3-4 seconds at a time. This hang up occurred once every 15-20 seconds. This is a business computer for my family, so kind of a nuisance when using AutoCAD. I would put the system lag on a scale of 9/10.

I checked the system for malware and viruses first using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. The results came back negative.

I then ran CCleaner to remove unwanted files. I restarted the system, but lag was still there.

Next, I ran the system in safe mode (with networking). There was no lag evident. I then decided to perform a clean boot.

Overall, the clean boot seemed to remove most of the lag. However, system still lags a little. There are no hang ups anymore, but occasionally (once every few minutes) the mouse cursor will skip and momentarily freeze. The lag, from the previous scale, would now be a 2/10.

Since then, I have updated drivers, ran chkdisk, and ran a memtest. I also use compressed air to clean out the inside of the PC since it's used in a dusty basement area.

I'm open to any suggestions anyone has. I'd really appreciate it, because I can't think of anything else to try. I'm hoping someone with better PC skills can help me figure this out.

Thank you.

Solution
It could also just be that the nVidia drivers need to be updated (with the setup option to reset settings back to defaults).

If that doesn't help, then remove the GTX 745 and run the video off the i7-6700 (internal iGPU). Your MB should support video connectivity on it. After installing the Intel video drivers and the lag goes away, then chances are it's your nVidia GPU either failing or staving for power. If it's the later, it could be the PSU is failing to feed it power to run properly.

stdragon

Admirable
It could also just be that the nVidia drivers need to be updated (with the setup option to reset settings back to defaults).

If that doesn't help, then remove the GTX 745 and run the video off the i7-6700 (internal iGPU). Your MB should support video connectivity on it. After installing the Intel video drivers and the lag goes away, then chances are it's your nVidia GPU either failing or staving for power. If it's the later, it could be the PSU is failing to feed it power to run properly.

Solution

drawingpin

Reputable
Dec 5, 2016

It could indeed be the case. Install a system monitor and watch your temps. I use HWMonitor from CPUID. It could also be your CPU throttling so installing a monitor will help you either identify this or eliminate it. If it the CPU check the fans on your cooler,

Jim.

jtw1984

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thank you for the reply. I have already updated the drivers and reset settings to default. I also checked the fan on the GPU. I have not tried to remove the GPU yet though. Hopefully, I will be able to try this tomorrow.

Thank you for the reply. I have downloaded HWMonitor, and will monitor the PC overnight. I'll reply tomorrow or the next day with an update. Thank you.