Computer stuck at start up. Incompatible GTX780 card or driver?

Nicolaigzw

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

First of all, I would like to say that I know there might be some similar threads, but I have no idea if they apply to this scenario and I have already spent ages working on this computer, so please bear with me!

So, the problem first occurred months ago. I didn't know the reason behind it, but suddenly my computer would not boot. Every time I tried, my screen would show the manufacturer logo and then go to a dark screen, never reaching the login screen (this was on Windows 10). It did the same thing on Windows 8, just showing the chosen colour of the user interface instead. Then I found the problem. I could install a version of Windows and actually use my computer, but after it recognized my GTX780 it would not restart unless I did another clean install again. I have tested this a few times. I now took out my GTX780 and the computer runs on the integrated graphics card. My computer has no problems, other than the graphics card obviously being a lot weaker than my GTX780. It seems like the problem is either:
1) The graphics card is broken
2) The driver is incompatible with my system

I'm obviously hoping for 2. Besides, 1 seems unlikely because the computer actually keeps running when it recognizes the GTX780. It just won't boot again.

So, how do I go about this? Should I install another driver to see if it works, and if so, how do I choose which one to install? I look forward to any help I can get!

Specs
Microsoft Windows 8.1
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard
i7-4770K @ 3.50 GHz processor
GeForce GTX 780 graphics card
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
8GB RAM

Solution
the card works until you install the drivers -> card is running off generic windows drivers. If you were to boot in Safe Mode, windows will use a generic driver for the GPU, you could then uninstall the GPU driver and boot into windows again.

First thing i would try is install the card in another computer and see if it works. if it does i would narrow it down to a new PSU, if it doesnt then its a GPU issue and time for a new one. I would also recommend the test computer has a good enough PSU to run the 780, GTX 780's are recommended to use a 575w PSU a good 550W should do for testing.
I would suggest you to update windows to latest point, since if you never did that, sometimes the newest drivers wont install.

If after that wont install/work, you can go to device manager, then right click update->then browse and browse again the folder where you unpacked the nvidia installer (DONT USE AUTOMATIC INSTALLER!), after you selected folder tick include subfolders and next, now it should begin to install drivers but the only negative side is that you dont have access to nvidia control panel.

And which PSU and how did you connect 6pin and 8pin to the GPU, Single line or 2 lines with seperate 6pin and 8pin (yes this matters).

Nicolaigzw

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
As for PSU: The GPU worked flawlessly for a few years, so I can't imagine that it has been connected the wrong way.

As for the rest: Let me just see if I've understood this correctly.
1) I install every update that Windows Update can find, so my system is fully updated.
2) I turn off my computer and remount the GTX 780
3) I reboot my computer, the display still connected to the integrated graphics card.
4) I install the newest GTX 780 driver
5) I turn off my computer, connect the display to the GTX 780 and see if my computer boots correctly

Edit: I don't have another computer to test it with.
Edit: My computer has a 750W PSU

the card works until you install the drivers -> card is running off generic windows drivers. If you were to boot in Safe Mode, windows will use a generic driver for the GPU, you could then uninstall the GPU driver and boot into windows again.

First thing i would try is install the card in another computer and see if it works. if it does i would narrow it down to a new PSU, if it doesnt then its a GPU issue and time for a new one. I would also recommend the test computer has a good enough PSU to run the 780, GTX 780's are recommended to use a 575w PSU a good 550W should do for testing.

Solution