[SOLVED] Computer stuck in boot loop after using Bit Driver updater ?

Requian

Honorable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello World,

I ran into a serious issue at the moment and am really hoping someone has the answer. I have an old custom PC that I was playing around with and decided to want to update the drivers (I know one shouldn't yet I dare try). I looked around the net to find something that could help with this rather than going through the hardware individually and updating them. I found this application called Bit Driver updater that was recommended in a couple of articles (soon found that it's malware after the fact). I implemented only a couple of updates to see how the system would take it. I was planning on returning the system back to a previous log if any issues were encountered.

The next day boy did I encounter an issue. My antivirus was having an issue with the network and then the entire system froze up and restarted. Then after trying to reboot the system it has been reboot looping the entire time. I can not even get into the BIOS to do anything as it reboots again before the BIOS. I attempted factory resetting the MOBO by taking out the battery and hitting the CMOS button, those did not work. I am stumped. I am not certain if it was the Bit Driver Application or the old age of the computer, or both. If anyone has an idea please let me know. Thanks.

Please also note the history of the computer:
Electrical shocks from just plugging a USB drive into a port.
The computer is from 2016:

Gigabyte gaming 7 MOBO
I7-6700k intel cpu
gskill 16gb ram stick
GTX 1070
PSU EVGA GOLD70

Solution
3rd party driver updaters are bad

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

boot from installer

on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced
choose system restore
choose a restore point prior to use Bit driver updater, if there is one

You shouldn't need 3rd party driver updaters, use Gigabyte App centre
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
you don't need all the programs it offers but it also updates drivers, so its worthwhile for that alone.

Colif

Win 11 Master
3rd party driver updaters are bad

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

boot from installer

on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced
choose system restore
choose a restore point prior to use Bit driver updater, if there is one

You shouldn't need 3rd party driver updaters, use Gigabyte App centre
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
you don't need all the programs it offers but it also updates drivers, so its worthwhile for that alone.

Reactions: Requian
Solution