Question Computer suddenly loses monitor signal.

Shootie_Armstrong

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I suspect that this is a GPU problem, but I might as well post my issue here first.

For 2 years now, I have had this reoccurring issue where my computer would randomly lose signal to the monitor. When this occurred, my mouse also stopped worknig, and the computer sound would freeze up in a one second loop. Unplugging the monitor or restarting the monitor wouldn't solve the issue. The only thing that would solve the issue was turning the PC off and turning it back on. This problem only occured once in a blue moon so I wasn't too worried.

Within the last two days though, it is becoming more frequent. If I try to play a game on Steam, I am almost guaranteed for the signal loss to occur within five minutes of game-play. If I just browse on my computer, the issue seems to randomly occur within three hours of general computer usage. The strangest thing is that I have checked my logs and nothing special shows up before the signal loss occurs. I have also ran benchmarks and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary besides a low FPU and GPU rating.

I'm just wondering what step I should take yet. I think I might have to unplug the graphics card and put it back in, but I'm afraid I might break something by accident.

Specs:

-Computer-
Processor : AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
Memory : 7147MB (1549MB used)
Machine Type : Desktop
Operating System : Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
-Display-
Resolution : 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : AMD Radeon ™ R7 300 Series (BONAIRE, DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-20-generic, LLVM 7.0.0)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
-Input Devices-
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Logitech USB Keyboard
Logitech USB Keyboard
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm:3
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm:3
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm:7
HD-Audio Generic Front Mic
HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic
HD-Audio Generic Line
HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front
HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround
HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE
HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST1000DX001-SSHD
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHC0N

Last edited:

Shootie_Armstrong

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Here is some additional information:

Computer age: 2.5 years old.

df -h information

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 3.4G 0 3.4G 0% /dev
tmpfs 698M 1.5M 697M 1% /run
/dev/sda3 909G 267G 597G 31% /
tmpfs 3.5G 408M 3.1G 12% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 3.5G 0 3.5G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 511M 7.5M 504M 2% /boot/efi
tmpfs 698M 24K 698M 1% /run/user/1000

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

glxinfo

OpenGL version string: 4.4 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.2.8

Shootie_Armstrong

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Here are some photos from when I start my computer.

KcddnUW.jpg

v0LPHkz.jpg

9oYz41N.jpg

My keyboard, audio, and mouse work now when the black screen happens. I still can't navigate out of the black screen mode without restarting the computer however.

Shootie_Armstrong

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Things are potentially getting worse. I just tried turning on my computer and I got the signal loss issue almost immediately after the Lenovo logo came on. I finally got the PC to work after rearranging the connections on the back of the computer, monitor, and power strip. I really hope to find out what is wrong with this rig before it goes out for good. Is there any way to stress test it so I know exactly what component is acting awry? When I played games with it, I got perfect 60 frames per sescond until it suddenly crashed.