Question Computer super slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
the past 4ish months my computer has been running extraordinarily slow and I can't figure out why. Everything about it has slowed down. Internet takes longer to load, it takes longer to boot, and games are far more prone to freezing and frame drops. Task manager says that everything is well within normal bounds and checked for driver updates. My initial thought is a RAM issue, but is there a way to test that? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
You can fix the timings whenever, running the memory slow won't hurt anything other than performance.

Did you mean C? 60-90% CPU load just playing a Youtube video seems awfully high.

Instant crashing in Prime95 either means that you have a power delivery issue, a very bad thermal transfer from CPU to heatsink or a defective CPU. If you ever messed around with CPU settings in BIOS, you may want to try resetting CMOS to return everything to factory defaults.

A flaky PSU could also cause instant-off/reboot on rapid load transients. If your CX750 has green lettering on it, it is an older group-regulated design and your problem could simply be that it has aged enough that it cannot keep up with Skylake's transient load anymore. If it is the newer 2017 model (white stencil) then it may still be ok. If you have convenient access to a spare PSU, you may want to try a swap.
Nope, I meant %. I was running the Core Temp app and they were running 20-30% when it was just the app and some background stuff open. As soon as I clicked one of the (many) youtube links I have and it started to load the video it jumped to 60-90% on all 4 cores. I haven't touched any of the CPU settings in BIOS. I did mess with boot options but that's because every now and then for some reason my computer forgets which drive has my boot options on it and I have to point it to the appropriate drive again. The CX750M has black lettering with a white stripe over the words, presumably the white stencil you're talking about. I unfortunately don't have a spare psu to try.

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Yes, so it may be throttling (hence the high cpu usage because clock speed is low) or there's some other reason, setting in the bios as suggested or maybe Windows cpu state was set and forgotten about OR application doing this.
Is there a way to get to a different BIOS then pressing delete on startup? When I do that it takes me to Gigabyte Dualbios. I don't know if that's the same but I don't see anywhere in there where I would be able to mess with clock rates or pretty much any CPU setting

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
That is the bios. Just load defaults and exit. Seeing as you're doubting ever changing anything it's looking likely heatsink isn't on properly but we'll see.
It'll have to wait until tomorrow. I took the heatsink off to try to both apply new paste and make sure it was attached properly but didn't realize how dusty it is inside. I don't have any compressed air on hand so I have to just wait til I get off work and pick some up. I'll do that though, thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem and good luck. Keep us posted.

Blow the thing out and reseat the heatsink and tension according to installation manual. Usually just until screws are equivalent to hand tight tension then quarter turn more with a screwdriver. Paste is still fresh so shouldn't need to apply new.

Do you have case fans?

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
did you run prime 95 small with avx disabled?

also looks like your booting from the HDD?
I don't know if I ran it like that, I just ran the default. I may be booting from the HDD, I've had to reinstall the boot drive several times and forgot where I've put it this last time. If I did I'll change it when I fix the initial problem

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
the past 4ish months my computer has been running extraordinarily slow and I can't figure out why. Everything about it has slowed down. Internet takes longer to load, it takes longer to boot, and games are far more prone to freezing and frame drops. Task manager says that everything is well within normal bounds and checked for driver updates. My initial thought is a RAM issue, but is there a way to test that? Would really appreciate some advice, thanks!
HI
I Recommend u to set BIOS settings all to default and fresh install your windows (format the drive including windows and re install it)
i hope it fixes everything otherwise it's not a software problem, it's hardware

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Regarding memory settings, they should be there. You may be in simple bios mode or similar. On exit is there a setting to change bios mode to advanced?

Video runs through various pages and memory settings at about 2:00.
Hi, sorry about the late reply. Been a busy week. I checked BIOS and didn't see anything that would imply it's been changed, and currently in the process of moving Windows boot sequence to my SSD. Any other suggestions?

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
HI
I Recommend u to set BIOS settings all to default and fresh install your windows (format the drive including windows and re install it)
i hope it fixes everything otherwise it's not a software problem, it's hardware
Sorry, busy week. I checked BIOS and nothing seemed changed, and in the process of moving the windows boot drive to my SDD. If it is hardware what do you think would be most likely?

mcas19

Reputable
Jun 8, 2018
Also, just noticed apparently my SSD was being run as a RAW file system, and when I looked that up it said that usually meant corrupt data. Don't know if that has anything to do with it but can't have helped