Question Computer Switches On then Off Repeatedly - Technician's Diagnosis

Blindmonkey

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Hi there,

I previously posted on two separate threads (which can be closed if a moderator is reading this):
1st
2nd

My rig:
CPU
Intel - Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler
CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard
Asus - Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory
Kingston - HyperX Fury White 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage
Crucial - BX200 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 960 4 GB Video Card
Case
Fractal Design - Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power
EVGA Supernova 550 W Gs Gold 80+ Modular Power Supply Unit

After using this rig for 3 years I had an issue where suddenly one day after being powered on the machine would turn on and then after around a second turn off. It would then by itself turn on again after a few seconds, only to turn off again once more, and so on. In addition, there were no beep codes.

I ended up sending it to a technician and after testing it they said it was a problem with the motherboard and that there was an issue with the power IC connector on the motherboard. They recommended to replace the motherboard entirely as they allegedly could not find a replacement part and that it was 'not worth' getting a spare part and replacing it on the motherboard.

Does this all sound about right, and is there little sense in replacing the part and would it make more sense to completely replace the motherboard?

I would be inclined to believe them it is just that they are very reluctant to say what they believe the issue is in writing and I thought for a second they may be hustling me to buy a brand new motherboard off them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
Did anyone look in Reliability History or Event Viewer for error codes and warnings?

I will suggest that the PSU is also a likely suspect.

3 years old and only 500 watts. PSU may no longer be up to the task of supporting the current hardware.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If not, find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.