Question Computer takes hours to boot, unless in safe mode

underszd_

Honorable
Sep 17, 2016
Hi! If anyone could give me a hand with this I'd be really grateful, I've been trying to fix it for 3 days. My computer is having an issue where whenever I either restart it or force shut it down (but not when I either restart in safe mode or just power it off normally), it takes anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours to boot into windows 10. It's using an AMD Ryzen 3700X on a gigabyte B450 motherboard, with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti. While in the process of restarting (spinning dots), the fans in my computer will alternate between full speed and about 50%, so I think it's doing something, at least.

It doesn't look like it's an issue with either my SSD (that my OS is contained on) or my HDD (that I store my files on), because whenever I use safe mode the computer boots after about 5 seconds. I tried defragmenting my HDD, but that didn't help. I thought it was an issue with my drivers, so after I tried reinstalling all of them (and updating them to the latest, for every part of my computer) I tried putting it into diagnostic mode and disabling all services in system configuration (I haven't tried disabling startup apps yet, I'm going to try that whenever it turns back on). Whenever it's in diagnostic mode it takes 3 hours again, unless I also use safe boot.

I've tried resetting windows completely, the problem came back after reinstalling my apps.

Other problems my computer has had are:
  • Randomly turns off (about once every five times) when I click "play" in any game (but not on starting the game)
^ When it turns off, I actually have to unplug the power plug from my power splitter and plug it into another one before it'll work again, I don't know why (maybe a bad power supply?)
  • A BSoD sometimes, when I unplug my WiFi adapter (I don't have the stop code as it hasn't happened in a while)
  • Another BSoD "driver state power failure" when trying to restart it to troubleshoot
If anyone knows what's happening here I'd be really happy if you could help me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
AMD Ryzen 3700X on a gigabyte B450 motherboard, with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti.
what else?
what WIFI adapter? any extra peripherals like external drives? Printers?

Do you have latest BIOS?
unplug any unessential peripherals (only have mouse/kb)

tried unplugging hdd and see if it changes start up speed?

if its a spinning dot at startup, i don't think startup apps are loaded at this stage, they likely to startup after logon screen. More likely to be a device or a driver slowing down start at that stage.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

last BSOD at least said its a driver error in description :)

can you run this and ipload zip file to a file sharing website and show link here - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Colif

Win 11 Master
"I've tried resetting windows completely, the problem came back after reinstalling my apps. " Can you install the apps one at a time and reboot between each to help identify the problematic app?

The only apps that should affect start up are probably the ones that load with startup so an easier way to test that besides starting again, is a clean boot, Op should be able to do this from safe mode

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

underszd_

Honorable
Sep 17, 2016
The only apps that should affect start up are probably the ones that load with startup so an easier way to test that besides starting again, is a clean boot, Op should be able to do this from safe mode

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My Wifi adapter is a netgear a7000, I've got the latest BIOS for my motherboard and I've tried unplugging all my peripherals, but not my HDD. I just downloaded those BSoD apps you mentioned, I'll let you know how that goes. The thing is, I actually have already been clean booting my PC: all startup apps disabled, all non-windows services disabled, diagnostic mode checked in msconfig, and it still takes forever to boot. Where it gets confusing is that if I boot into safe mode (which should be the same thing as diagnostic mode with everything disabled, right?) it works fine. I changed nothing else, I just started in safe mode with networking and it takes about 5 seconds to restart.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried running chkdsk on the hdd?
if anything slows startup down most, it can be a hdd.
have you removed wifi adapter while PC off to see if its cause?

same with hdd, removing things is 1 way to find cause. at least it removes them from blame.

underszd_

Honorable
Sep 17, 2016
have you tried running chkdsk on the hdd?
if anything slows startup down most, it can be a hdd.
have you removed wifi adapter while PC off to see if its cause?

same with hdd, removing things is 1 way to find cause. at least it removes them from blame.

Just tried running chkdsk, it said it did some things but the problem is still there so I'm guessing it was maybe disk fragmentation or something? And tried booting it without the wifi adapter, problem is still there. Is there something that safe boot turns off that clean boot doesn't? If so, that's what's causing my problem, I'm pretty sure. Safe mode works fine, clean boot breaks it.

TRENDING THREADS