[SOLVED] Computer *thinks* its too hot?

Mar 4, 2019
So I made myself a new gaming rig recently, unfortunately it has the issue of restarting itself whenever I'm playing a game with high graphics, which it should be able to handle, temps of cpu/gpu reach around 50ish which should be fine as far as I'm aware. Wasn't sure where to post this, so I went with cooling as its sort of the issue, am sure a mod will move it if they think its in the wrong area :)

I feel like its a setting in the bios or MB software or something that's making it restart because it thinks its too hot. I could be wrong and its something else but I get no information or error reports etc when it restarts.

Speccy (speccy is incorrectly listing I have an i7-7700)
Windows 10 64bit
MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
intel i7 9700k
16gb ram
GTX 1070 Ti (MSI)
Corsair VS650

Has 2 front 200mm fans, 1 ceiling 200 fan, 120mm on the back and a CM masterair on the CPU.

Tried dipping into Bios settings to find something to help but I'm pretty clueless with that stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I can tell you right now you have your specs wrong. If you actually had an i7 7700 in a Z390 motherboard your question would be why won't my system post. Please re check your specs and also include the make and model of the PSU.

bignastyid

Titan
I can tell you right now you have your specs wrong. If you actually had an i7 7700 in a Z390 motherboard your question would be why won't my system post. Please re check your specs and also include the make and model of the PSU.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I agree that there is a disconnect between 7700 and Z390. But it is interesting the Speccy thinks (follow the link) that is the configuration...

Mar 4, 2019
RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 C14, not sure if that's relevant but speccy doesn't pull up the details of it. Just updated BIOS recently but still having same issue.

bignastyid

Titan
2 most common causes of an unexpected shutdowns are heat and power problems. Most motherboards will show a bios warning about a thermal shutdown when you turn it back on, not so much with a power issue. You have a low end PSU paired with high end parts. Good chance it's the PSU. Can you test with a better PSU?