[SOLVED] Computer turns off a few minutes of being on, does it in the bios and while trying to install windows.

ottendorf

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Okay my brother built a pc. He used my old processor which is the i5 6402p and a MSI Bazooka motherboard and some fairly new Adata ram I had leftover. He bought a 1660 GPU and a new power supply and a Seagate Barracuda HDD. He turns it on and it boots to the bios and he can leave it sitting there and it will just shut off. He can also put in a Windows media flash drive he made from his laptop and it will install windows until about 30 percent and then it shuts off. He has reseated RAM and made sure all the PSU cables are all the way in, and tried different SATA ports and it's always the same. Any suggestions?

Update: He has four sticks of 4GB RAM and he took out the two older sticks and it can make it into the windows installation and it gets to about 40 percent before cutting off. With the two older sticks in it cuts off in seconds after it boots to bios.

Update 2: He checked his temperatures and his CPU is at 100 degrees Celsius right before it cuts off. Gonna redo his thermal paste and see if that helps. He has good airflow and 5 case fans. Cable management isn't to bad.

Last edited:
Solution
Okay my brother built a pc. He used my old processor which is the i5 6402p and a MSI Bazooka motherboard and some fairly new Adata ram I had leftover. He bought a 1660 GPU and a new power supply and a Seagate Barracuda HDD. He turns it on and it boots to the bios and he can leave it sitting there and it will just shut off.

To me, this sounds more like it may be thermally related. You did not mention the CPU cooler and its installation. Did he reuse the cooler for the CPU chip when you gave him the parts? Did he clean the old thermal paste off and apply fresh? Did he use the proper amount?

Often, when the system runs for a while and then powers off or crashes it may be that an over-temp fault was sensed. If you can boot to...
Mar 7, 2020
Okay my brother built a pc. He used my old processor which is the i5 6402p and a MSI Bazooka motherboard and some fairly new Adata ram I had leftover. He bought a 1660 GPU and a new power supply and a Seagate Barracuda HDD. He turns it on and it boots to the bios and he can leave it sitting there and it will just shut off.

To me, this sounds more like it may be thermally related. You did not mention the CPU cooler and its installation. Did he reuse the cooler for the CPU chip when you gave him the parts? Did he clean the old thermal paste off and apply fresh? Did he use the proper amount?

Often, when the system runs for a while and then powers off or crashes it may be that an over-temp fault was sensed. If you can boot to BIOS and if the BIOS has a temperature readout, leave it there and note the temperatures up until the time of shutting off. That can eliminate the possibility of thermal problems from the list of potential causes.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

ottendorf

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019

Often, when the system runs for a while and then powers off or crashes it may be that an over-temp fault was sensed. If you can boot to BIOS and if the BIOS has a temperature readout, leave it there and note the temperatures up until the time of shutting off. That can eliminate the possibility of thermal problems from the list of potential causes.
It was at 100 degrees Celsius. Gonna reapply the thermal paste and see if that fixes. He is using the stock cooler, he also cleaned out the dust for the most part on the cooler.

Mar 7, 2020
I think that should fix it. Remove the cooler, clean off the old paste thoroughly and reapply the proper amount per instructions. Also make sure the cooler fan is running smoothly and not bogged down.

With the CPU running at 100°C, it is no wonder it shut down due to thermal overload.

Reactions: helper800