Question Computer turns off after 5-10 seconds after new ram installation. No bios available.

Jan 3, 2021
If your pc turned off within 10 seconds of you powering it on, with no motherboard speakers to assist, how would you troubleshoot?

I bought new ram, unplugged my old ram, put the new ram in, cleared cmos, then started it up and it turned off after like 5 seconds. Plugged the old ram back in, cleared cmos and it turned off after 5 seconds.

System specs:
Intel i7 7700k Kaby Lake
AMD Ryzen 570
Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H

Trying to upgrade 1x8gb 2133MHZ DDR4 RAM to 2x8gb DDR4 RAM 2300MHZ.

I have since tried:
Clearing cmos, multiple times through the jumper and once through manually removing the battery. Removing all parts individually, the computer will remain powered on if I have my cpu, gpu and ram unplugged. But my mobo with just the cpu in will turn off after 10ish seconds...
I get the same results (turning off after 10 secs) regardless of anything I do barring if I remove everything.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your ram upgrade is pointless in terms of frequency since the rams will be downclocked to DDR4-2133MHz. You also should've gotten an i7-7700(non-K) processor since that chipset does not allow for overclocking(which is why the rams will be downclocked.

Rams don't have a DDR4-2300MHz frequency unless you have a unique kit or you made a typo for DDR4-2400MHz or DDR4-3200MHz.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Jan 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your ram upgrade is pointless in terms of frequency since the rams will be downclocked to DDR4-2133MHz. You also should've gotten an i7-7700(non-K) processor since that chipset does not allow for overclocking(which is why the rams will be downclocked.

Rams don't have a DDR4-2300MHz frequency unless you have a unique kit or you made a typo for DDR4-2400MHz or DDR4-3200MHz.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Thank you for the welcoming!

Ahh, I bought my cpu about a year ago and had no idea that's what the kaby lake version meant haha. Oh well, the upgrade isn't massively pointless since previously I had 1x8gb 2133mhz going to 2x8gb *2400mhz. But I do see your point! You were also correct about the typo: 2400mhz, not 2300.

I'm not sure what version of BIOS I'm currently running - is there a way to check without booting up as booting up is not possible currently :/

Thank you for your reply.