Question Computer turns off right after turning on.

Nov 18, 2022
I went on a brief vacation and now my PC won’t turn on. I was gone for four days and when I got back home, I turned on my PC and the light flashed, then died immediately. I thought it was no big deal, and I unplugged the system and plugged it back in.

It did the same thing again, and I started to worry. I kept trying but it wouldn’t stay on for more than a second or two. I did some googling, and some unplugging, and after unplugging my hard drive, it stayed on for about ten seconds. I unplugged my GPU and the PC stayed on. I turned it back off, and then plugged the GPU back in, and it stayed on indefinitely. The only problem after that was that my monitors wouldn’t pick anything up, no matter what ports or configurations I used.

I unplugged everything (my pc is plugged into the wall if that helps) and tried again this morning, but it wouldn’t stay on again. I reset the CMOS to no avail. I’m really not sure what to do next.

Some things to note:

PC is plugged directly into the wall

I have a rift CV1 headset that was unplugged from my PC recently, occupying an HDMI and a USB slot

GPU is slightly overclocked

My built-in Wi-Fi card doesn’t work so I have another one connected through PCIE

Both monitors were plugged into a surge protector

I can’t get on my pc long enough to configure/check BIOS.

Here are my specs:
- RTX 3060 MSI OC
- Ryzen 5700X (overclocked)
-MSI Gaming Edge B550 (this MOBO sucks)
-32 GB RAM 3200MHz (PC4 25600)
- EVGA W1 Series 600W ATX (If this is the issue, it’s a miracle it’s lasted so long after a couple upgrades.)
-SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB
- 4TB Hard Drive

Any info/tips on what do do next greatly appreciated!

Nov 18, 2022
EVGA W1 Series 600W ATX (If this is the issue, it’s a miracle it’s lasted so long after a couple upgrades.)
How old is the PSU in your build? What sort of upgrades did the PSU see over the course of it's service life?
PSU is two and a half years old. Last year, I upgraded from a 1050ti to my 3060, and 1700x to 5700x.

PSU is two and a half years old. Last year, I upgraded from a 1050ti to my 3060, and 1700x to 5700x.
Those are pretty significant jumps in power requirements for an older PSU. Might be time to replace your PSU with a newer model that has a higher output. Sounds like it might have been working intermittently or you possibly could have suffered an electrical event (plug your PC into a surge protector or battery backup).

Nov 18, 2022
Those are pretty significant jumps in power requirements for an older PSU. Might be time to replace your PSU with a newer model that has a higher output. Sounds like it might have been working intermittently or you possibly could have suffered an electrical event (plug your PC into a surge protector or battery backup).
This actually makes perfect sense. I had an extended power outage not too long ago, and for the past couple weeks there’s been construction in my neighborhood to install fiber internet:

Nov 18, 2022
Maybe I won’t have to RMA after all. I unplugged most of the stuff on my board and plugged it back in, and now it runs consistently until I turn it off.

Sorry to bother you all again, but there are two troubling new developments:

-Firstly, I still don’t have any picture from my monitors, despite everything seemingly working.

- Secondly a red light that says “CPU” came on, which according to the internet could mean a bunch of things. Sorry to bother you all again, but I’m really not sure what it means.

Nov 18, 2022
Hopefully not the same one? That was not an appropriate PSU to match with those components; the only thing good about the EVGA W1 is that it's not quite as horrid as the EVGA N1.
You were right, it was as the PSU. For now, I have some cheap thing from Amazon, and I’ll turn it as soon as I get paid next. Which PSU do you recommend for my specs?