Computer Turns on and off repeatedly since replacing my mobo (GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H

Brycidium

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I just replaced my motherboard of the same model:
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H INTEL Z87 CROSSFIREX/SLI SATA 6
My old one's USB and on-board audio broke. I plugged everything back into the motherboard, but my computer turns on and off repeatedly. All of the fans spun (GPU, CASE, and PSU) and heard the hard drive boot up, but then all of a sudden it turns off. Three seconds later, it turns back on again, and repeats the on and off cycle. My monitor doesn't receive a signal.

I am not sure why this is happening. But, here's some information on my specs:
My PSU is: THERMALTAKE SMART SERIES SP-850M 850W 80PLUS BRONZE
I bought my motherboard in America, but I am in Japan and bought a new one here (not sure if this makes a difference, but maybe there is a power difference in the motherboards that I don't know about?)

Maybe it could be the power supply is too low for the motherboard? Is it my CPU that causes the power to shut off and on?

This is a first time to replace a new motherboard, and I didn't experience the on and off when I used my old motherboard. Are there suggestions that I can do to fix this?

Solution

Best way to check that is to find another PSU...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
best way to check is to unplug everything unneccesary. Take out the GPU, only use 1 stick of memory, unplug all non boot hard drives, and all optical drives, and see if it boots. If so then slow start pluging things back in to see what might be the issue. If you still have the issue also try reseating your CPU (take it out of socket, put it back in)

Brycidium

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I checked all cables and they seem to be all connected. I took out everything except the CPU, but I left all cables connected to the mobo. Even then, it still doesn't work. I checked the CPU, and saw some bent pins on the new mobo CPU socket. I fixed them to its correct spot. Yet, the computer won't turn on completely. Is it a CPU problem? My old mobo seemed to work fine (turn on completely). Or, did I wire everything incorrectly?

Brycidium

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I checked all cables and they seem to be all connected. I took out everything except the CPU, but I left all cables connected to the mobo. Even then, it still doesn't work. I checked the CPU, and saw some bent pins on the new mobo CPU socket. I fixed them to its correct spot. Yet, the computer won't turn on completely. Is it a CPU problem? My old mobo seemed to work fine (turn on completely). Or, did I wire everything incorrectly?

Brycidium

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Okay, I left the 24pin, CPU cables in, none of the other cables connected to it. They still don't work. I did the paperclip test on the 24 pin cable, where the PSU's fans ran for a long time. When I plugged the 24pin and CPU cables into the motherboard, the on & off symptoms still occurred. I did not plug in any other cables into the PSU.
Here's what it looked like:

Case fans were off
No HDD/Power light on the case turned on
The PSU fans were running
CPU heatsink was working/buzzing

Results:
Turned on for 10 seconds, then off for 5 seconds, and on and off and on and off

It is almost the same results if I plugged everything into the PSU.

Would it be a CPU/Motherboard issue?

Adrian Ocampo

Distinguished

Best way to check that is to find another PSU for testing. If other PSU works then its the PSU if not then its the motherboard. Goodluck.

Solution

Brycidium

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Okay. I tested with both the current 850w PSU I use and a 1000w PSU. They both passed the paperclip test, but when I plugged them into the motherboard cables only, they both had the same results of the computer turning on and off and then back on. I might need to buy a new motherboard, but I may have another possible reason in mind...

Could it be a short circuit? I thought I screwed the mobo on correctly, but could this cause the electricity to go to the case (not the mobo)?

The first motherboard (with audio and USB port issues) did work correctly with the same PSU and everything, but the second one (newer mobo) had the on-and-off issues.

I got back the first semi-buggy motherboard, and when I installed it to the case, it experiences the on-and-off. Is it possible I installed the motherboard incorrectly, causing the short circuit? Maybe the standoffs aren't placed correctly?

Adrian Ocampo

Distinguished

You could remove your MB from the case and try to test it there. If it is still the case then it might be the MB itself.

jswoods4

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

I had this exact same problem. I solved my problem by getting an older CPU, and flashing the BIOS, then reinstalling my new CPU. All works fine now. My board is:exactly the same as yours, but I had a i5-4460 CPU, and it was way too new for the board. Could that be your issue?

Darren_4

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

I just had to re-set the CMOS battery. I took it out, removed the dust (just with fingers! eek!) and re-set it. Now looks to be working,

rcknroll35

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
If that can help, I have the same problem now.... and i know the source. I bought some Ultra 550 watts power supply a few years back from TigerDirect.ca and i've had problems with it on day one. Basically you turn on/off the power switch at the back of it, wait, try, etc. If after 5 min it doesn't work, you throw it in the garbage and you order a new one on amazon.

as a sidenote, close to 10-15% of EVERYTHING (multiple buys over multiple years) i bought on tigerdirect was DEFECTIVE or DOA (dead on arrival). At first i thought it was bad luck, but then every other order the SAME thing would happen: DOA video card, defective power supply, 2 out of 4 ram modules that works, and so on and so on. And when i posted bad reviews on that product on their site, my reviews never got published.

STAY AWAY FROM TIGER DIRECT.

Al SJ

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Most probably its a PSU issue. Even if it passed from a paperclip test it could have problems in real test. Some PSU will work just perfectly fine in one motherboard but will fail to the other.

Smittyncrew4826

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Mine was shutting down, turn on for 1 second, shut down for 3 seconds, turn on for 1 second, over and over. First occurred while editing video. Turned out to be bad case ventilation, CPU was hitting 80-81C. Opened case, and finished video project. Fans on order now. i5 4690k, stock Intel fan, one case fan (soon to be 3).

Shredhead1260

Commendable
May 13, 2016
I was having this issue myself and I replaced the power supply and it went away. Now I'm having it again. The one wrinkle is that if I unplug the power cable and wait a few seconds and plug it back in, the computer boots up fine. So I'm torn between replacing the power supply again or checking all the motherboard screws to make sure they have the little cardboard on them, that they are not over torqued, etc.

Smittyncrew4826

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Update on my on/off loop when computer gets hot; I thought it was ventilation because I could get the system to work with the side-panel removed. Turned out it was a damaged PSU from a power fluctuation in the house (I saw the lights dim for a second when problem started). When PSU would get too hot, the on/off loop would occur. I read an excellent article here on Tom's, (everything you need to know about PSU's?, something like that), which led me to suspect the PSU. I took out the old 750 watt, put in a new 600 modular, problem solved. No more on/off looping when system gets hot. I did add two case fans in this trouble-shooting process which were needed anyway, but the problem was not just ventilation, the PSU was damaged from the power brown-out in my house. I will be buying one of those APC battery back-up/ power cleaners in the near future because I get power surges whenever my air conditioner kicks on which is on the same house circuit. Right now I don't use the AC and computer at the same time because of this.

Chamelespoon

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Just wanted to say thanks for this suggestion. Mine (a very old Core 2 Quad based machine) started doing the same thing this evening, and after systematically removing each component and trying again, it wasn't until I pulled the CMOS battery and replaced it (after waiting ~30 seconds) that it kicked into life. It then began beeping madly about the lack of RAM, graphics card, etc... but, well, I'm writing this thankyou on it now, so looks to be okay. :)

Can't quite justify a new machine just yet, but think a replacement CMOS battery is called for!

Thanks again!

huraira

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

It's because your memory sticks are misplaced. Take them out and put them back in

Smittyncrew4826

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
My computer did this same thing, but only when the PSU got warm during gaming or video editing. I thought it was mb, cpu, etc, but it was the PSU. A power fluctuation in the house (lights flickered) toasted the PSU just enough for it to go into the loop you are describing when the PSU would get warm. Make sure the main ATX plug is seated well, and all other power cords. If it continues to do it, well, it was the PSU in my case.