Computer turns on but no image on Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Hello,
So basically last night i was on my computer playing a video game when all of a sudden the game crashed, this was followed by a weird pink image distortion, all the colors on the screen went haywire, it looked as if the GPU had crashed. (i have an integrated gpu)i couldn't use the keyboard or mouse because i couldn't see me screen. I then turned off my computer through the power button and when i tried turning it on i heard three beeps and nothing would appear on the display. Since i was tired i let it be and came back in the morning to try again, i tried turning it on, no beeps or image distortion, it simply turns on, even the monitor turns on but stays black until eventually it says no signal and turns off.

Solution
You don't have to boot it. Just connect it to another computer with an OS and, in your BIOS menu, select which to boot from (not the one you're wiping). Then you'll be able to go through its files and take out the ones you want, and reformat the drive when you're done.

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

im not quite sure the exact temperature but i am certain it's not an overheating, i checked my PSU/motherboard and the heat is substantial.
Besides my computer isn't even powerful enough to get to heats higher then 20 degrees Celsius xD

Yes, it is. Ambients often go past 25, and even the worst chips can overheat. Get some monitoring software, like Speedfan, and find out.

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

Btw error occured last night again just this time it wont turn back on, i tried removing the power cable and hooking it back up after 5 mins no fix, tried unplugging the PSU and rehooking it up, still no result, i think it's done for good, just would like to know what the issues it.
Typing this from my laptop btw.

suteck

Distinguished
I would try a cheap used video card like this Dell ATi Radeon X300SE 64MB PCIe DVD-I S-Video Graphics...that you can get HERE for $6 including shipping. That would tell you if it is your onboard video chip or not. Then you can say you need a new board if it is.

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
yeah gonna go with on board chip idea, my processor PSU and RAM are relatively new so i'd only going to assume that it's more than likely the GPU, thanks a lot for the help! time to go shopping for a new computer :)
Also, while i have you guys here does anyone of you know a way to clear out my hardrive that contains windows 7 without using a computer that has no HDD?

How to wipe the hard drive? Connect it to another computer and wipe it. You may even be able to erase it without another computer, but I don't know. Computers can deal with more than one HDD at a time; the other can be your laptop.

suteck

Distinguished
Wipedrive will work if you have a copy of that. Or the FREE VERSION HERE but it only wipes 25%. but it will no longer be a bootable copy of windows. Do you have the original os disk? If so you can start an installation get to the format your drive and let it format then turn off your computer. It won't make it unreadable to people who know how to restore that kind of data but for the average joe it will wipe it.

Got a big magnet??? Don't know it it's any good after that though.

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
hmmmm, since i do have some valuable information i'd like to keep on their im guessing my only way to get that stuff out is to really just boot this hardrive on a system without an OS huh? because from what ive been told if you boot a hardrive with an OS on another computer that has an OS it will cause errors or simply wont turn on.

You don't have to boot it. Just connect it to another computer with an OS and, in your BIOS menu, select which to boot from (not the one you're wiping). Then you'll be able to go through its files and take out the ones you want, and reformat the drive when you're done.

Solution

bacura101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

oh okay, cool, thanks a lot for the help guys, you rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.