Jul 21, 2019
Specs:
Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb
AMD fx 8350 eight core 4.0ghz
500GB crucial SSD
Motherboard asrovk 970 pro3 r2.0
Unsure about the power supply.
8GB ram
My computer was overheating(cpu) after I changed my mobo so I ordered new cooling however yesterday while I was gaming I started to smell weird smell which I thought nothing off but then my screen turned black but my pc was still running, I turned it off and now whenever I try to turn it on it turns on for a sec and turns off again. No idea.

Solution
Well that's easy enough for me to answer then, as I am too!

Remember I'll only recommend good quality units, people get shocked by the prices but as you'll recall from my link above, the last thing to ever scrimp on, is the PSU.

A good quality 550W would run your system fine and Corsair and Seasonic are typically the best value in the UK :
Power Supply:
Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £64.97 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £85.47 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+...
Jul 21, 2019
Yeah nothing seems to be broken, when I turn it off and on from the back and try to power it, it turns on for a split second and all the fans start spinning but then turns off.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah nothing seems to be broken, when I turn it off and on from the back and try to power it, it turns on for a split second and all the fans start spinning but then turns off.
Try breadboarding the system then. Remove the MB from the case and run with just:
MB, CPU (and cooler), PSU, 1 stick of RAM and (in your case) your GPU.

If nothing works, then it's a case of swapping out each piece of hardware to identify the cause.

Regardless, you'll probably want to replace the PSU, whether it is the cause or not. How long have you had it?
See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

if the PSU is the cause, there is no guarantees it hasn't taken other components with it.
Did you monitor temperatures after you upgraded the cooler? The FX series have low throttle limits, so overheating is very possible.

Jul 21, 2019
I have changed the cpu to my old one and it turned on however I cant see if the graphics card is working because it doesnt have the 6 pin power connector to it. Thats why I upgraded to the new one. I think I might just take the shot and get a new psu, can you recommend any?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well that's easy enough for me to answer then, as I am too!

Remember I'll only recommend good quality units, people get shocked by the prices but as you'll recall from my link above, the last thing to ever scrimp on, is the PSU.

A good quality 550W would run your system fine and Corsair and Seasonic are typically the best value in the UK :
Power Supply:
Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £64.97 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.45 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £72.45 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.00 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £79.00 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

The most budget friendly option that is still worth recommending is usually the CX model, it's not as good as the above, but it's more budget orientated - I will say though, the Seasonic above is a no brainer for me for the price to quality and warranty:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply - 5 YEAR WARRANTY

If you want a little more headroom for future upgrades, you can look at 650W:
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £90.46 - 12 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£73.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £73.49 - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.28 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £82.28 - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£85.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £85.49 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY

Or the budget one that's still decent again - CX:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply - 5 YEAR WARRANTY (BUDGET FRIENDLY AGAIN)

For the price in the UK at the moment, the Seasonic ones are a bit of a no brainer. And excellent quality.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Corsair PSUs are basically SeasSonic PSUs if i remember correctly, you cant go wrong with either. I have a Corsair 650W PSU and have been using it for the past 9 years, its a champ. I highly suggest their units.
Not necessarily true. Corsair make some bad units too, some mediocre ones and some excellent ones. As do seasonic :)

It's very specifically the model that makes the difference.

Corsair VS are poor quality.
The Seasonic S12 older units are poor by today's standards.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Not necessarily true. Corsair make some bad units too, some mediocre ones and some excellent ones. As do seasonic :)

It's very specifically the model that makes the difference.

Corsair VS are poor quality.
The Seasonic S12 older units are poor by today's standards.

Mines the Corsair TX750, a bit overkill for my build, but it was a great bundle deal with RAM at the time.

Reactions: PC Tailor