Computer turns on with greyish screen

Sep 24, 2018
Hello there,

My windows 10 pc (predator g3-710) has had a recent issue where upon turning on, it will display all the normal icons (logo, hdmi etc) and then the screen is gray (the screen is on, it isn't black, but you can't see anything except grey)

The first few times this happened were after I left the room as my computer turned on. I would come back, move my mouse/tap my keyboard and the screen would turn on- as if it was in sleep mode. Certainly my pc has a short period before it goes to sleep (before logging in, when logged in I have it at 15 mins) but when it goes to sleep the screen has always turned off. Now it's this greyish colour.

The issue became problematic after the screen wouldn't turn on by moving mouse/tapping keyboard, only way to resolve that issue was by turning off pc with power button, turning off powerboard switch and then turning everything back on.

But now, none of that works. However I discovered that the cursor remains on the screen, and if I type my password and enter it, the computer does get out of the grey screen and logs into my account. However now that I can see the screen, all my files on my desktop background are missing, and if I click on any program in the dock its icon will be highlight- but the program itself won't show up on my screen. But technically it's there, but invisible. (say I open up my task manager, I type some stuff on my keyboard, I can't see the task manager on my screen, but if I hover my mouse over its icon on the dock it'll show)

I can shutdown/restart my computer, but nothing works. But I found out that if I press sleep instead, and then open it again, everything is back to normal. However the same issue occurs where everytime I open up my pc I get that gray screen where I can't see anything, have to type my password in, press sleep and back to normal.

This problem started shortly after I moved my pc to a new home, and since I hadn't been on it for a week, there was many programs that I updated. I don't think it's related to the monitor itself, I've checked all the cords and they are in properly.

Solution
What is the component list? If you have a graphics card, I would start with updating the graphics driver (assuming that you can load Windows).

Another thing that you can try is to reseat the memory. Remove the RAM one stick at a time, then clean the contacts, blow out the dimm slot, firmly reinstall (make sure that the lever goes all of the way back up), and then repeat for remaining RAM.

You can do the same for the graphics card.

What is the component list? If you have a graphics card, I would start with updating the graphics driver (assuming that you can load Windows).

Another thing that you can try is to reseat the memory. Remove the RAM one stick at a time, then clean the contacts, blow out the dimm slot, firmly reinstall (make sure that the lever goes all of the way back up), and then repeat for remaining RAM.

You can do the same for the graphics card.

Solution
Sep 24, 2018

Thank you a lot mate! My graphics driver was already updated, reinstalling the update solved the issue for me.

TRENDING THREADS