[SOLVED] Computer Underperforming?

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
So I've had my gaming rig since march 2019 and ive always felt like it underperforms and i thought my 8gb 2400 mhz ram was the problem but when i upgraded to 8x2 3200mhz it didnt really make such a big impact as i expected it would. I mean in GTA 5 with max settings and v-sync i barely reach 60 it usually drops to 55 and lower and my bench mark in it was just terrible making 60+ fps was a rare sight and not even that game Ive seen fps from rigs with similar specs and i have lower everytime and i feel like it just underperforms. Please help. What fps should i be getting?

MY RIG
Processor:
AMD Ryzen 2600 3.6 GHz
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB
Memory: 8x2 DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply
HDD: 500 GB SSD w/ 3D NAND and 1 TB HDD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Motherboard: Asrock B450m Pro 4

Solution
Fps is measurable in 2 places. Before the gpu and after. To do this, set the gpu at ultra settings (no vsync) and see what fps averages are. Then drop settings to low and see what the averages are.

If the fps stays roughly the same, then the issue is with the cpu, somehow, as it's only putting out limited amount of fps.

If fps makes a sizable jump up, then the issue is with the gpu, somehow, as that's what's struggling to get the fps it's given, on screen.

Cpu sets the fps limit. It pre-renders all the frames it can. Sends those to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to resolution and detail settings. So figuring out where the low fps is coming from is the first step.
So I've had my gaming rig since march 2019 and ive always felt like it underperforms and i thought my 8gb 2400 mhz ram was the problem but when i upgraded to 8x2 3200mhz it didnt really make such a big impact as i expected it would. I mean in GTA 5 with max settings and v-sync i barely reach 60 it usually drops to 55 and lower and my bench mark in it was just terrible making 60+ fps was a rare sight and not even that game Ive seen fps from rigs with similar specs and i have lower everytime and i feel like it just underperforms. Please help. What fps should i be getting?

MY RIG
Processor:
AMD Ryzen 2600 3.6 GHz
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB
Memory: 8x2 DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply
HDD: 500 GB SSD w/ 3D NAND and 1 TB HDD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Motherboard: Asrock B450m Pro 4
What resolution are you running at?

1920x1080
Have you tried running without v-sync? If I remember correctly v-sync will try and lock you to 60FPS. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-vsync/ However, your GPU should be able to push GTA V close to 100FPS average https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU18/2305 with a 99th percentile above 60FPS. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU18/2307 (NOTE: the benchmarks I am showing will have a difference CPU but are at least close enough for your reference). One other thing, is the game installed on the SSD or HDD? While the overall FPS won't be that different, running it on the SSD leads to more consistent FPS.

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
Have you tried running without v-sync? If I remember correctly v-sync will try and lock you to 60FPS. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-vsync/ However, your GPU should be able to push GTA V close to 100FPS average https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU18/2305 with a 99th percentile above 60FPS. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU18/2307 (NOTE: the benchmarks I am showing will have a difference CPU but are at least close enough for your reference). One other thing, is the game installed on the SSD or HDD? While the overall FPS won't be that different, running it on the SSD leads to more consistent FPS.
Yes ive ran it without v-sync and its the same and ive installed mostly all my steam games on my HDD but gta 5 is on my SSD

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
Yes ive ran it without v-sync and its the same and ive installed mostly all my steam games on my HDD but gta 5 is on my SSD
Are all of the extra power cables plugged into the GPU from the PSU?
I dont know. Im pretty newbie when it comes to that sortve subject how can i tell? and without v-sync it hits 70+ but never stays there it usually drops to like 55 and in benchmark when it comes to the vinewood sign it never even reached 50 dropping to 30 and 40

Last edited:
I dont know. Im pretty newbie when it comes to that sortve subject how can i tell? and without v-sync it hits 70+ but never stays there it usually drops to like 55 and in benchmark when it comes to the vinewood sign it never even reached 50 dropping to 30 and 40
The GPU needs 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin connected to it from the PSU. You would be able to see it when you look at the power connectors going to the GPU.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Worth nothing GTA V is by no means a well optimized game. Im running on a 2060 and saw some serious issues at 1080P. Even keeping 60 FPS was a bit of a struggle at some moments. Im afraid to try it at 1440P on my newest monitor.

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019
Worth nothing GTA V is by no means a well optimized game. Im running on a 2060 and saw some serious issues at 1080P. Even keeping 60 FPS was a bit of a struggle at some moments. Im afraid to try it at 1440P on my newest monitor.
Yeah i mean it runs other games well probably lower than it should lol ill just try updating the bios.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is measurable in 2 places. Before the gpu and after. To do this, set the gpu at ultra settings (no vsync) and see what fps averages are. Then drop settings to low and see what the averages are.

If the fps stays roughly the same, then the issue is with the cpu, somehow, as it's only putting out limited amount of fps.

If fps makes a sizable jump up, then the issue is with the gpu, somehow, as that's what's struggling to get the fps it's given, on screen.

Cpu sets the fps limit. It pre-renders all the frames it can. Sends those to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to resolution and detail settings. So figuring out where the low fps is coming from is the first step.

Solution

AgentAdam

Commendable
Jun 7, 2019

Okay ill test that soon and l'll get back with u thank u guys for helping fr