Computer unusably slow after reset

May 18, 2018
I reset my pc to get a fresh clean start. Everything seemed to go smooth until i noticed to took abnormally long to login. i got to my desktop, then it flashed back to logging in for a couple seconds, then right back to the desktop. for some reason i’m getting about 1 fps on my desktop and CANNOT CLICK anything. it’s basicslly unusable and i would very much like to know how to fix it, thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Before reinstalling Windows take some time to take a closer look at the present "reset".

What may be happening is that various applications, processes, services etc. are try to update themselves by "phoning home', creating backups, etc..

Or looking for shared drives that where "lost" during the reset.

A new install could just start it all over again.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what is running on your desktop and what resources are being consumed accordingly.

You may find, for example, that some old "crapware app" has been reincarnated with the reset (default enable) and bottlenecking performance.

Also likely is that some old driver (may via Windows) is now in place versus an improved version that should be downloaded via the manufacturer's website.

Check your startup: remove any programs that are unnecessary and see if that helps. If so, try adding the programs back (if they are truly needed) one at a time. Wait between additions to ensure that the desktop's performance does not degrade again. Should performance drop with any given program then that program may need to be updated or reinstalled.

Look for the problem first. If you find something, try using the built-in Windows troubleshooters - they may be able to fix the problem directly or provide more information about the problem per se.

May 18, 2018

(did not mean to downvote your comment btw) What exactly do you mean by that, or how do I do that? I don't really know the correct way to get my pc fresh like when i got it, and something stupid like this happens every time I do this. Also, what would you recommend doing with my current situation?