Computer went from fine to no fans, no video...and Im lost

Gerwin Henn

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
I have a HD 6970 card, with red LED showing, I replaced a PSU with a new one and same issues
no case fans, no cpu fan, no video and the red light on video card.

this is a MSI z87 gd65 board with I7 haswell. My first build been working for about 3 months and came home to this issue. Since I am a newb and built this from you tube and threads here, I am of course lost now that I have a issue with no background to resolve, other then some common sense and replacing parts. All help appreciated

Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan connected. Make sure that both 24 and 8 pin power cables are connected. Start the board by shorting with a screwdriver the 2 pins where the wires from the case power button connect.
If still no CPU fan spinning, then I'd say it's a board issue.

Gerwin Henn

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

the board has a reset button on it will that work as well as the shorting trick? and do you mean take out ram etc so only board and cpu remain?
thanks

Gerwin Henn

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
ok motherboard master, she is alive now that video card was removed, I did not remove anything else from board, just the video card and all fans on and monitor on using mobo video. so should I try another slot? will I harm anything by trying different slots or putting this monster in and out as long as I am careful ?
Your Awesome btw, I really appreciate you prompt advice esp. as a volunteer! this site rocks

Gerwin Henn

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
the only thing I find odd , is why it worked for months? nothing was done. I had a corsair 650 wt and I put a 850wt in there now. Im gonna try in another slot and see what happens..
I will keep you updated
I run 3 monitors btw, should this card be toast would you have a replacement in mind that you like?

Gerwin Henn

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
200-300.00 maybe more but I dont think I need,
mainly some video editing (light),and just running my desktop on three monitors so I can be reading and researching several places, while watching networked security cameras etc. I dont mind spending if its gonna last