Computer Wi-Fi does not reconnect after router reboots

jaydel

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
I have two identical computers running Server 2012 r2. My router automatically reboots every few days. When one of my computers looses connectivity to the router it never reestablishes it. Sometimes it shows that no networks are available, other time it just gets stuck at connecting. I have swapped the wi-fi cards between them but the problem does not move with the card. I have compared the settings and cannot find a difference and both are set to auto connect. Latest drivers are installed and the card is Intel AC 7260. Anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks.

Solution
Good. Eliminates some contention between the servers....

"Thinking out loud" now - do not mean to insult your intelligence so please bear with me.

What do you have to do to restablish connectivity? E.g., 1) reboot the server 2) maybe go in and disable/enable the network card, or 3) just restart some process. What ever you have to do is a clue as to what is breaking down.

Have you flushed the caches? Release/renew? Doing so could bring things back to normal.

Consider temporarily stopping the auto reboot of the router for a few days. See if the server just happens to drop off on its own.

Have you looked at the server logs to see if there are any specific errors are being reported when connectivity is lost and not...

Ralston18

Titan
Good. Eliminates some contention between the servers....

"Thinking out loud" now - do not mean to insult your intelligence so please bear with me.

What do you have to do to restablish connectivity? E.g., 1) reboot the server 2) maybe go in and disable/enable the network card, or 3) just restart some process. What ever you have to do is a clue as to what is breaking down.

Have you flushed the caches? Release/renew? Doing so could bring things back to normal.

Consider temporarily stopping the auto reboot of the router for a few days. See if the server just happens to drop off on its own.

Have you looked at the server logs to see if there are any specific errors are being reported when connectivity is lost and not regained?

Could be some confluence of events: maybe an on-going backup or AV scan interferes with the reconnection effort.

Do the servers have static IPs? Change the static IP on the problem server. If not try a static IP outside of DHCP range or MAC reserved for the server.

The overall approach is just to find something that makes the problem go away or change. Again that is not necessarily a fix but becomes a known variable related to the problem.

Solution