Computer Will Not Boot Up

Mapmonkey

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I do not have experience with troubleshooting. Nothing happens when I hit the power button. I have an asus z97 pro wifi ac, 4790k cpu, corsair hx750i ps, thernaltake water 3.0 cooler, was not overclocked, mobo is getting power, but no action anywhere. Help! ?

Solution
1. First thing to try is resetting the BIOS. And do a hard reset while waiting 5-10 minutes (remove battery and power cable and press power button for a minute)

2. If the PSU seems good, and at least the case fan and HDD run, the PSU may not be supplying the necessary wattage... Running fans mean nothing, just that they use less power than the motherboard.
a) Check power connections are snug and fully seated.
b) Try a different PSU.

3. If case fan and HDD run with a known good PSU, but not the motherboard; two possible causes: Dead BIOS chip or dead motherboard.

4. CPU is unlikely to have died specially if the issue happened without warning or apparent cause.

I had one mobo that died like this and I've read other cases where...

Mapmonkey

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I will have to do that when I can...I built this thing 6 months ago and no problems ever, today it just wont start. How would I tell if the mobo or CPU were bad?

1. First thing to try is resetting the BIOS. And do a hard reset while waiting 5-10 minutes (remove battery and power cable and press power button for a minute)

2. If the PSU seems good, and at least the case fan and HDD run, the PSU may not be supplying the necessary wattage... Running fans mean nothing, just that they use less power than the motherboard.
a) Check power connections are snug and fully seated.
b) Try a different PSU.

3. If case fan and HDD run with a known good PSU, but not the motherboard; two possible causes: Dead BIOS chip or dead motherboard.

4. CPU is unlikely to have died specially if the issue happened without warning or apparent cause.

I had one mobo that died like this and I've read other cases where the mobo died the same way. If the mobo doesn't have signs of damage, you can try recovering the BIOS with an update if you learn the update keys and procedure to do it blind, if still nothing, replacing the BIOS chip would be recommended where possible, if done and still nothing, it's time to replace the motherboard.

Recap:
1. Reset the BIOS to remove any corrupt settings.
2. Make sure it's not the PSU or lose/defficient power connection
3. If possible update the BIOS, next up replace the BIOS chip... and next up replace the motherboard.
4. CPUs don't die without a good reason: mainly overheating or shortcircuiting

Solution

Mapmonkey

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks everyone. Hopefully one of these solutions will work. Also, as tea urchin noted, the 24 pin atx cable that came with the corsair does not fit very well into into the motherboard. I though I was going to break the board when I first put it in. I didn't realize this is known issue. I will get a new one.

Yes, that's a common problem with cheap PSUs but with a Corsair shouldn't be so bad. The 24 pin connector should fit-in whatever force you have to use.. the motherboard will not break as long as it doesn't bend enough to...

1. Using appropriate support between the case and the mobo can insure it doesn't bend... a clothespin half can be used, it has the right thickness, wedge shape and insulation (in case you forget it) to be perfectly appropriate, but any small piece of branch around +/-5 mm thick can be usefull.

2. You can also rub the 24 connector around with a wax candle to make it slippery and go in easier since it's mostly friction that opposes the connector from sliding all the way into the mobo connector. Paraffin wax is an excellent electrical insulator so there's no risk involved in using it.

Mapmonkey

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
So apparently it was the PSU. Upon troubleshooting I noticed a clicking sound when I tried to boot up. I unplugged everything except the mobo, and determined it was the PSU clicking. Went and got an evga 850 g2, and boots up just fine. Is there anything that I would be doing to cause PSU failure? 750 is definitely high enough for what I have in the machine. I leave it on a lot, room is kinda hot...or was it just a bad one? Also, the 24 pin from the evga just fit right in nice and snug.

It's not the total PSU original wattage (750), but the total it may now be supplying. The clicking can have causes like the HDD coming out ot sleep or hibernation, a Power Saving setting, and some say it's normal but depends on how frequently it clicks, and the power regulator is what clicks, so your PSU's power regulator is probably deffective... but check if a power option setting in the BIOS or Windows may have part in it.

Power Supply Clicking
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264358-28-power-supply-clicking