Computer will not boot up.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Hi,

My computer is not homebuilt, but i thought someone may be able to help
anyway! It is an AMD K6 300Mhz, IBM one.
I started it up as normal the other day, but all i got was a black screen
with a 'key' symbol at top left where i could put a password in - its not
passworded at all though! No passwords that i use work either.
I have tried usind a different hard drive - still will not boot up, also
tried with different RAM - still will not boot up!
Twice in all these attempts it has came up with 'CPU clock speed
incorrect/changed' (something like that). The CPU fan is still working.
The strange thing is that i cannot access the BIOS at all.

Any ideas what is faulty?

Thanks,
Lynsey.

Philo

"Lynsey" <lynsey@NOSPAM.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My computer is not homebuilt, but i thought someone may be able to help
> anyway! It is an AMD K6 300Mhz, IBM one.
> I started it up as normal the other day, but all i got was a black screen
> with a 'key' symbol at top left where i could put a password in - its not
> passworded at all though! No passwords that i use work either.
> I have tried usind a different hard drive - still will not boot up, also
> tried with different RAM - still will not boot up!
> Twice in all these attempts it has came up with 'CPU clock speed
> incorrect/changed' (something like that). The CPU fan is still working.
> The strange thing is that i cannot access the BIOS at all.
>
> Any ideas what is faulty?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynsey.

sounds like a dead cmos battery

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Well....
Ive changed the battery to a new one now and still nothing.
Also changed the processor to a new one to see if that was it.
It actually seems to be worse now - when i swith it on i can hear the HDD
running (but it stoppes after 30sec ish) and the fan runns fine too. But
now, the monitor wont go on (even though its switched on - i just get a
completly blank screen) the light on the monitor doesnt switch from its
orange 'stand by' to green 'on' colour when the computer is switched on.

Should i just give up?....

Cheers,
Lynsey.

Lynsey wrote:
> Well....
> Ive changed the battery to a new one now and still nothing.
> Also changed the processor to a new one to see if that was it.
> It actually seems to be worse now - when i swith it on i can hear the HDD
> running (but it stoppes after 30sec ish) and the fan runns fine too. But
> now, the monitor wont go on (even though its switched on - i just get a
> completly blank screen) the light on the monitor doesnt switch from its
> orange 'stand by' to green 'on' colour when the computer is switched on.

Have you tried unhooking the HD to see if you get a boot screen then?
Perhaps take out any ram that you don't need either in the event that
one or more sticks are bad...

Additionally, take any cards out that you don't need for a boot screen.
These would include modem, network and sound cards as one could be bad
and locking up the bus.

Tim

> Should i just give up?....
>

> Cheers,
> Lynsey.
>
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Lynsey" <lynsey@NOSPAM.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>My computer is not homebuilt, but i thought someone may be able to help
>>>anyway! It is an AMD K6 300Mhz, IBM one.
>>>I started it up as normal the other day, but all i got was a black
>
> screen
>
>>>with a 'key' symbol at top left where i could put a password in - its
>
> not
>
>>>passworded at all though! No passwords that i use work either.
>>>I have tried usind a different hard drive - still will not boot up, also
>>>tried with different RAM - still will not boot up!
>>>Twice in all these attempts it has came up with 'CPU clock speed
>>>incorrect/changed' (something like that). The CPU fan is still working.
>>>The strange thing is that i cannot access the BIOS at all.
>>>
>>>Any ideas what is faulty?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Lynsey.
>>>

>>sounds like a dead cmos battery

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Ok, cool. Ill try that tomorrow and see if it helps!
Thanks,
Lynsey.

"Tim Schoenfelder" <tim@timschoenfelder.com> wrote in message
> Lynsey wrote:
> > Well....
> > Ive changed the battery to a new one now and still nothing.
> > Also changed the processor to a new one to see if that was it.
> > It actually seems to be worse now - when i swith it on i can hear the
HDD
> > running (but it stoppes after 30sec ish) and the fan runns fine too. But
> > now, the monitor wont go on (even though its switched on - i just get a
> > completly blank screen) the light on the monitor doesnt switch from its
> > orange 'stand by' to green 'on' colour when the computer is switched on.
>
> Have you tried unhooking the HD to see if you get a boot screen then?
> Perhaps take out any ram that you don't need either in the event that
> one or more sticks are bad...
>
> Additionally, take any cards out that you don't need for a boot screen.
> These would include modem, network and sound cards as one could be bad
> and locking up the bus.
>
> Tim
>

> > Should i just give up?....
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Lynsey.
> >
> > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>"Lynsey" <lynsey@NOSPAM.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> > screen

> > not

> >>sounds like a dead cmos battery

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Hi everyone,

Just to say thanks very much to everyone who suggested things to help fix
the computer. Turned out that it was the battery, although by changing the
processor to a different one it complicated everything by me not putting it
in correctly!
Oh well, its all fixed now!
Once again, thanks for all the help,

Lynsey.