Question Computer will not POST ?

AllWhoPlay

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
Im having problems with my computer refusing to POST. The computer was a had a i7-7740x and a asus TUF x299 mark 2 and no gpu as I intended to use it headless. I bought both of these used off of ebay and the motherboard came with a few suspicious cpu pins but i assumed that the reseller knew what they were doing and went on. after building this pc it would not post and my troubleshooting led to me refunding the motherboard and buying an Asus Prime X299 new. I recieved this and put all the parts together and the pc still will not post. no beeps, no numbers. the only things visibly acknowledging power are the psu fan and the motherboard lights. i decided to closer test the psu and ive found that the two 8 pin power connectors are opposite of eachother one giving what i would expect from it and the other giving the same results but negative. I dont know if thats a problem and i dont know the proper words to google if its a problem.

any suspicions of what could be going on here?

Im having problems with my computer refusing to post. The computer was a had a i7-7740x and a asus TUF x299 mark 2 and no gpu as I intended to use it headless. I bought both of these used off of ebay and the motherboard came with a few suspicious cpu pins but i assumed that the reseller knew what they were doing and went on. after building this pc it would not post and my troubleshooting led to me refunding the motherboard and buying an Asus Prime X299 new. I recieved this and put all the parts together and the pc still will not post. no beeps, no numbers. the only things visibly acknowledging power are the psu fan and the motherboard lights. i decided to closer test the psu and ive found that the two 8 pin power connectors are opposite of eachother one giving what i would expect from it and the other giving the same results but negative. I dont know if thats a problem and i dont know the proper words to google if its a problem.

Which two 8 pin are you talking about ? There could be 2, one for graphic card and other one for MB.
Ones for GPU are usually 6+2 and for MB 4+4, They have different pin assignments and voltages and are not interchangeable.
in 4+4 when plugged in the MB 8pins all om one side are +12v and other 8 opposite of them are minus.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Im having problems with my computer refusing to post. The computer was a had a i7-7740x and a asus TUF x299 mark 2 and no gpu as I intended to use it headless. I bought both of these used off of ebay and the motherboard came with a few suspicious cpu pins but i assumed that the reseller knew what they were doing and went on. after building this pc it would not post and my troubleshooting led to me refunding the motherboard and buying an Asus Prime X299 new. I recieved this and put all the parts together and the pc still will not post. no beeps, no numbers. the only things visibly acknowledging power are the psu fan and the motherboard lights. i decided to closer test the psu and ive found that the two 8 pin power connectors are opposite of eachother one giving what i would expect from it and the other giving the same results but negative. I dont know if thats a problem and i dont know the proper words to google if its a problem.

Lots of stuff going on here. I don't understand at all what you're saying in the second to last sentence, but there's a bigger problem here: the i7-7740X doesn't have integrated graphics. No matter what problems are elsewhere with the pins, this was never going to work this way.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

AllWhoPlay

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
Lots of stuff going on here. I don't understand at all what you're saying in the second to last sentence, but there's a bigger problem here: the i7-7740X doesn't have integrated graphics. No matter what problems are elsewhere with the pins, this was never going to work this way.
sorry. English is my first language I'm just bad at writing. I never intended to connect this computer a monitor and planned on using ssh and running servers for games on it. To my knowledge I don't need a gpu for this. I do have one if i do need a monitor to set it up but i havent even gotten it to post yet.

Which two 8 pin are you talking about ? There could be 2, one for graphic card and other one for MB.
Ones for GPU are usually 6+2 and for MB 4+4, They have different pin assignments and voltages and are not interchangeable.
in 4+4 when plugged in the MB 8pins all om one side are +12v and other 8 opposite of them are minus.
I'm talking about the 4+4 8 pins which the motherboard has two connectors for. The two sides having different polarity is true for both but one has ground next to the clip and the other has +12v next to the clip.

sorry. English is my first language I'm just bad at writing. I never intended to connect this computer a monitor and planned on using ssh and running servers for games on it. To my knowledge I don't need a gpu for this. I do have one if i do need a monitor to set it up but i havent even gotten it to post yet.

I'm talking about the 4+4 8 pins which the motherboard has two connectors for. The two sides having different polarity is true for both but one has ground next to the clip and the other has +12v next to the clip.
For first part, You need a monitor to see set it up and if there's no IGPU you need a graphic card-
On the second part. 4+4 plugs are keyed so they can go in only one way and each in it's own part of 8pin socket. In most cases only one (the primary one) of those 4 pins needs to be used. The other one just when heavily overclocking.