[SOLVED] Computer won’t boot from SSD. HHD isn’t fried.

Jan 18, 2019
I have a Dell optiplex 790. I’m pretty sure the hard drive went bad as it was giving me the BSOD for a while and now says no boot device found. And also didn’t show up in diagnostics.

I also have an ssd installed in the computer that does show up in diagnostics but when I go to BIOS to boot from the SSD it won’t start either. It gives me the message of “selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system”

I bought the computer used so I’m not sure if windows was only installed on the original hard drive but I’m trying to explore options to get this computer up and running again. Thanks.

Most likely Windows is only one one device, and it really should have been on the SSD if whoever set it up was close to knowing what they were doing with computers.

What do you have saved on the disks? Best thing to do is to remove the standard drive, connect the SSD to the lowest SATA port, and install Windows on that. Then plug in your second drive and see if Windows can see it and read the data off it.

Jan 18, 2019
Nothing too important saved on the disks. Will I need a physical cd to install windows. I can't copy windows off the broken HDD to the SDD or if there is a way I don't know how.

Thanks

Solution