Computer won’t boot or post after new RAM upgrade

Deep831

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi

After reading though many topics and answers nothing seems to be working still.

I have recently built a new computer with a ASUS stix mobo and corsair 16gb memory but when I built the computer I was getting blue screens. After figuring out that 1 RAM stick was faulty after running memtest. I sent the memory back to be replaced. In the mean time while i have been waiting for the memory i have been using an 8gb kit (2 x 4GB). The computer has been running fine the whole time. Also the 8gb kit is exactly the same model and specs as the 16gb kit, only gb size differs between the two kits

I received the new memory replacement today. I plugged the modules straight in (powered down with power cable removed) and it did not work. I then tried clearing the CMOS by both removing battery and jumping the two CMOS pins. The computer still does not post or boot up. Just fans are spinning. Also because the battery is situated behind the graphics card, the graphics card was removed and im using dvi output on the mobo. The mobo is displaying a orange led which relates to RAM error. When I remove 1 of the sticks and only have 8gb the computer works fine. Both sticks work fine but i can only have 1 stick in a time. I have not plugged the Graphics card back in just in case i have to access the battery, could the graphics card not being plugged in be the issue?

Is their any settings i should change in the BIOS, i can only access the bios with 1 ram stick not when the 2 are plugged in, also i have tripled checked the RAM sticks are plugged in the correct slots

The computer specs are:
ASUS Strix z370-h
Intel 8700K
Corsair Vengance 16gb kit 2400 ddr4
Cooler master 850watt power supply
Corsair H80i V2
MSI 1080i graphics card
Sandisk 240gb SSD
WD 1TB HDD

Solution
With one stick installed, try bumping up the memory voltage one increment. So, if your memory is on auto configuration in the voltage section, change it to manual by entering the XMP default voltage value in that setting field, then, increase it by one incremental adjustment by pressing the + key on your keyboard or if your bios allows it, simply set the memory voltage at + .010-.020 higher than the default XMP voltage specification. Save settings, shut down, install the other module, restart.

Also, in the BIOS, until you get everything configured the way you like it, you might turn off the memory fast start boot mode option by changing it to either disabled or normal, depending on what settings are available in your bios. I'll look at...
Remove the graphics card and try again. Sometimes, on some systems, having a GPU card installed but not connected or plugged in can cause wildly different issues. Worth trying for sure.

Seems weird though that it would work with one stick installed that way and not two.

Are you certain that you are using the two slots outlined in your motherboard's user manual dictated as intended for use in a two module configuration? Yes, it matters almost 100% of the time which two slots you use when only two modules are present.

Are you certain that the 8gb kit and 16gb kit are the same voltage specification?

What are the model numbers of both the 8gb kit and the 16gb kit?

Also, if you only had one stick replaced, it's highly possible that the new stick does not want to play nice with the old stick. Memory is best used and purchased in matched sets, and having one stick replaced eliminates the fact of a matched set. If one module was bad in a matched set, I would have demanded a whole new set so that you still have two modules tested and confirmed to be compatible with each other.

Even among brand new modules with the same part number, if they are from different production runs, there can be major differences in the physical characteristics of the module including entirely different IC's, different rank configurations, and so on.

See here for evidence of that where you can see that several different configurations of actual physical memory all have the same part number but are clearly not physically the same using different memory chips, ranks, etc.:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3610013/amd-ram-compatibility.html#20562100

Do both of the modules from the 16gb set work when used independently?

Deep831

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Thank you for the quick reply

I have tried removing the graphics card, but have not tried putting in back in yet.

Yes I'm sure they are the right slots. I've read the manual and also asked others using a Asus board.

I cannot remember the model numbers but when I checked the packing for both they are exactly the same. They are just different size kits. Also would different timings and volts cause an issue, if so what can I do to fix it bear in mind i can only change settings in the bios with 1 ram stick installed.

Also the store does not replace only 1 stick, so the whole kit was replaced. So I have a brand new pack, with 2 brand new sticks.

Yes both the modules work from the set when used independently. I think their may be a setting to limit the memory to 8gb or something needs to be changed to support 16gb.

With one stick installed, try bumping up the memory voltage one increment. So, if your memory is on auto configuration in the voltage section, change it to manual by entering the XMP default voltage value in that setting field, then, increase it by one incremental adjustment by pressing the + key on your keyboard or if your bios allows it, simply set the memory voltage at + .010-.020 higher than the default XMP voltage specification. Save settings, shut down, install the other module, restart.

Also, in the BIOS, until you get everything configured the way you like it, you might turn off the memory fast start boot mode option by changing it to either disabled or normal, depending on what settings are available in your bios. I'll look at the manual for your board when I have a chance but they usually don't offer a heck of a lot of useful information in the manual on most boards.

Also, I'd double and triple check that there is nothing IN the second memory slot and that the module you are installing in that slot is ABSOLUTELY getting seated all the way. I'm assuming it is, since you say it works with dual modules with the other memory kit, but it's always worth checking to be sure.

Solution